Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by MuscleRodz View Post
      Really? Its a manufacturers trade show. Its not a car show for the public.
      Since when? lol
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Who said anything about because being mad? I do think you're misrepresenting what actually happens at Sema for most of the attendees. Small garages are not making deals with big companies and yes, I have seen folks like Brett at autocrosses.

I don't see how anyone could disagree Sema is mostly show. I learn about new products on these forums and word of mouth at events. Not reading about your $100k car in a magazine.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      The people that go there do enjoy it, because it is the best car show in the world, I'd argue. But what do you propose? Make it public? That is flat out IMPOSSIBLE. It's unbearable as it is with people sneaking in. Make it open, then suddenly you flood the show with morons that have no business there (Saw some idiot in the unbadged outside area open up, and sit in a show car Lincoln to check it out). Flood the show, then it's harder to actually do business. Then suddenly it's not worth the $20k-500k that it takes to go there, vendors leave. People mess with cars, then the cars don't show anymore, then SEMA becomes crap. You see that video of that A-hole fooling people into jumping onto tonneau covers and causing general mayhem? That's where this show is headed if it strays from the business-centric purpose it has.
      there are a lot of joe public in there already, I saw several shops that I have been to and know personally that are like my own and only have a few employees but suddenly there is 10 guys walking around with that company badge, and already we have folks opening and closing doors and hoods at whim, it happened on my car several times

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      there are a lot of joe public in there already, I saw several shops that I have been to and know personally that are like my own and only have a few employees but suddenly there is 10 guys walking around with that company badge, and already we have folks opening and closing doors and hoods at whim, it happened on my car several times
      thats messed up. I find that shocking. But sadly not.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I don't see how anyone could disagree Sema is mostly show. I learn about new products on these forums and word of mouth at events. Not reading about your $100k car in a magazine.
      SEMA IS a car show, for the aftermarket parts industry. Hence the term "Trade Show". The people that tell you about these new products, first learn about them at SEMA because they are in the industry and they are attending a "Trade Show". SEMA is not now and has never been a car show for the general public! SEMA is a "TRADE SHOW" for business people in the industry. As I said earlier, SEMA needs to tighten up who it allows in. 10 passes for a 5 employee company is part of the problem, but IMO, a bigger problem is the general public thinking they have a right to get in and that is it OK to buy fake passes off CL. Further more any SEMA member caught selling SEMA passes on CL, ebay or anywhere else should forfeit their SEMA membership. And NONE of these people has any right to touch any car in any display without express permission!!!! As for the drinking by show attendees, no doubt the company in charge of the concessions at the show venue has a contract/license with the city which allows them to sell alcohol and that translates to $$$$ plain and simple. I would be surprised if SEMA had any say in the concession sales.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      SEMA IS a car show, for the aftermarket parts industry. Hence the term "Trade Show". The people that tell you about these new products, first learn about them at SEMA because they are in the industry and they are attending a "Trade Show". SEMA is not now and has never been a car show for the general public! SEMA is a "TRADE SHOW" for business people in the industry. As I said earlier, SEMA needs to tighten up who it allows in. 10 passes for a 5 employee company is part of the problem, but IMO, a bigger problem is the general public thinking they have a right to get in and that is it OK to buy fake passes off CL. Further more any SEMA member caught selling SEMA passes on CL, ebay or anywhere else should forfeit their SEMA membership. And NONE of these people has any right to touch any car in any display without express permission!!!! As for the drinking by show attendees, no doubt the company in charge of the concessions at the show venue has a contract/license with the city which allows them to sell alcohol and that translates to $$$$ plain and simple. I would be surprised if SEMA had any say in the concession sales.
      As a guy from a small shop that attends SEMA, well said!!!

Tim
      Tim

67 Camaro RS

64 Nova SS

If you are going to SEMA and not going to at least one Meet and greet and at least one seminar/panel; you probably don't belong there.
      I've been half a dozen times and between time working a booth, Seminars and Meet and Greets/Socials, I have ZERO time to walk the floor. I catch up on what was there on the way home and the week after.
      Dan W
      1968 Plymouth Road Runner
      1962 Dodge Dart 440

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Blaming people for thinking they have a right is a little arrogant. Its more of an opportunity that presents itself people take advantage of. I wouldn't knowingly purchase fake passes....As for borrowing badges...even people that can get in now AND even the big name folks did it too in the past. I can't recall who, but on one of the velocity interviews he openly admitted "my first time here I was Joe Bob". I wouldn't get panties in a knot on who belongs and who doesn't, but rather keep the tradition of the show. You can't tell me SEMA couldn't control alcohol venders nor really filter who actually got in. Hell they had cars outside anyone could walk up too with a beer in their hand. The problem is not the car enthusiast who have credential or not to get in, its how SEMA runs it! Blame them....Not the guys that want to check out cool cars and the scenery. If they wanted to keep it as a trade show and not a car show, it wouldn't get advertised like does, passes handed out as easily as they are, and the venue would be locked down in a convention center where you showed credentials at the door. There wouldn't be industry guest or even Spouse passes.....it a business meeting right?

I don't belong I guess....But I was told I could get in as a guest next SEMA....
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I wonder if all the SEMA members are against consumers being inside the show? The big automobile makers? Tire companies? Are the celebrities that some members bring in to sign autographs meant solely for SEMA members? Just curious.

1986 Saleen, Aluminum block 408W, T56, Full Griggs Racing supension

There wouldn't be industry guest or even Spouse passes.....it a business meeting right?

Tell my wife im going to vegas for sema for business and networking by myself????
      Tell your wife that and see what she says?!!
      Lol!
      72 chevelle.

Sema 2017 is over now,stop beating the poor horse already!
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt C View Post
      I wonder if all the SEMA members are against consumers being inside the show? The big automobile makers? Tire companies? Are the celebrities that some members bring in to sign autographs meant solely for SEMA members? Just curious.
      Its to get shops to stop by the booths the stars will be at to get business for the product they sell.
      Alot of time the stars are car people too that are having cars built for them.
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      "If you have a beer in your hand at 12:31pm on Tuesday, you’re probably not supposed to be there."
      I saw alot of this on fri,a bunch of drunk ass$%!s
      Almost falling on cars and leaning on cars to take selfies.
      Well that matches up to the Fast N Loud Episode from last week that reran on Monday! Rawlings always had a Beer in his hand, was slurring his words and he was about to spill his New Beer on the Blue HotRod the Monkeys built last year. then Shouting "Let's get another Beer!"

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I've always wondered if SEMA is missing a big opportunity by not having several days for the general public to enter the venue with paid passes for the general public. Who do they think the ultimate end consumer is anyway? Yes, professional fabricators and builders may buy most of the items exhibited at the show, but customers may want to specify certain equipment for their builder to install or like most of us that don't have $100K+ for a build, we're doing this stuff ourselves and I'd like to see the new options available out there. I understand and agree that they want to give members first access, but why not a couple of days at the end of the show for the general public to see the new products too and to have the opportunity to ask the vendors/manufacturers the same questions that the professionals and vendors have the opportunity to ask. I don't know anywhere the general enthusiast population can see all the new equipment like shown at SEMA. Just my 2c.

It's a really expensive week for exhibitors. to extend another couple days would cost exhibitors thousands of dollars. And for every edelbrock and Holly there's dozens of small companies that just could not afford that
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      It's a really expensive week for exhibitors. to extend another couple days would cost exhibitors thousands of dollars. And for every edelbrock and Holly there's dozens of small companies that just could not afford that
      How much does it cost? Really....I honestly think it’s already open to the public. The vast amount of people there...no freaking way they are ALL in the business. The big businesses have the money...if it’s that expensive to a particular business, you’re probably not big enough to even warrant being there? It’s an event as stated...meant to do a lot more then just business. All the “fun” stuff is what makes people want to go and brings the crowd. It’s a gloried car show...which is limited but people find ways around it and SEMA allows it.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

How much does it cost? Really....I honestly think it’s already open to the public. The vast amount of people there...no freaking way they are ALL in the business. The big businesses have the money...if it’s that expensive to a particular business, you’re probably not big enough to even warrant being there? It’s an event as stated...meant to do a lot more then just business. All the “fun” stuff is what makes people want to go and brings the crowd. It’s a gloried car show...which is limited but people find ways around it and SEMA allows it.
      it's Very Expensive. BMR doesn't do SEMA, but we do 15-20 Shows a year. PRI is a better show for the Industry and that's why we are Always there. Costs for a Space vary depending on size - a 10x10 is at least $2k and that puts you in the Boonies. Big Companies will get 4-20 Total Footprint Booths, so multiply accordingly. Cost of your Display? $2k, $10K, $200K? You have to ship Displays or drive them in your Trailer and that is going to be a couple of Grand! You want to get your display to your Booth? pay the Union to drop it off, take your Crate Away, store it & bring it back, $1.5K+. Want Electricity to your Booth? $500 per Outlet. Want to plug something into it? Union Guy $300. Give-aways - $1K. Need Chairs, Tables, Table Cover, Carpet? Rent them $150 Table Cover, $500 Table, $150-250 a Chair. Fly your Staff in - $5K. Put them in Hotels - $5K. Feed Them - $2.5K. Entertaining anyone? $$? Have you participated in a Build that is at your Booth, $40-$400K.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      it's Very Expensive. BMR doesn't do SEMA, but we do 15-20 Shows a year. PRI is a better show for the Industry and that's why we are Always there. Costs for a Space vary depending on size - a 10x10 is at least $2k and that puts you in the Boonies. Big Companies will get 4-20 Total Footprint Booths, so multiply accordingly. Cost of your Display? $2k, $10K, $200K? You have to ship Displays or drive them in your Trailer and that is going to be a couple of Grand! You want to get your display to your Booth? pay the Union to drop it off, take your Crate Away, store it & bring it back, $1.5K+. Want Electricity to your Booth? $500 per Outlet. Want to plug something into it? Union Guy $300. Give-aways - $1K. Need Chairs, Tables, Table Cover, Carpet? Rent them $150 Table Cover, $500 Table, $150-250 a Chair. Fly your Staff in - $5K. Put them in Hotels - $5K. Feed Them - $2.5K. Entertaining anyone? $$? Have you participated in a Build that is at your Booth, $40-$400K.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things.

Yeah, that’s my point. It’s basically an investment with some sort of expected return. If you pay out $200k to go to SEMA, you got the pockets to do so and you feel being there will give you a return on the investment. Each business chooses how they promote themselves. I know for a fact many businesses that would classify as small have $200k+vehicles....that they claim are business promoting cars. One of the tuners I went to talked down to my car because I didn’t want it left outside...he said my car was nothing compared to his $300-400k race cars....these businesses have the money It’s a matter if they want to spend it on SEMA. That’s a lot of money to me...folks like Forgeline, Holley, Detroit Speed which I alone have given them thousands of dollars. Is $100-$200k a lot to them? They make millions! Probably for “Johns Tire Change and Lube” which really has no business at the scale SEMA is anyways.

All those folks on TV don’t even need to go to SEMA to get their name out....heck I just saw Aaron Kaufman’s new show where he said “gotta go to sema” yet all he did was sign autographs at the MF booth and basically enjoy the week. Does GMGs Nissan have any value added being at SEMA? It just shows further how much the show changing to entertainment.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Is $100-$200k a lot to them? They make millions!
      I think you might be confusing Make with Sell! Any Company in this Industry that is Banking Millions of Dollars a year is doing it wrong - you have to re-invest in your business.

Isn’t paying to attend SEMA re-investing? Based on the opinions posted here, it’s business not a place for beer and fun.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com