Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: '66 Fairlane XL

Country Flag: United States
      To answer the power question: The Dart blocked and Brodix headed small block 427 engine dynoed right at 600 horses with a small carb and headers that didn't fit well. So, we're guessing that with the Gearstar overdrive auto tranny, the car should put about 550 to the ground. The engine was built for TORQUE not high rpm hp. It will be used for the street, with only an occasional "parking lot race" just to use the DSE suspension as it was meant to be used.

interior came out super nice!

I no idea just how hard it would be to find some of the parts for this car. For example: the anodized headlight bezels that came with this car were beat beyond repair. I thought no problem I'll just buy some repops.......nope, they don't exist. They're listed in a couple of catalogs but no one really has them. After WEEKS of looking I found an NOS pair on Ebay.......for only 650 bucks!!!. Now I'm searching for the housings for the front turn signal lights. I have the lenses but no housings. Probably gonn'a have to fab up something. I'm getting very, very impatient as we near the end of this deal.

Beautiful build, and should be a fun driver.

Very, very nice!
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

XRTTMAN,

Love the build!

What did you do to make the quadralink work? I have the full DSE catolog in my Cougar and it took some work to make the rear fit. Long story short I had to order their universal lower links and create the length I needed. the upper mounts/arms worked with some creativity and slight adjustment.

What did you do for headers? A buddy of mine and I ended up working with JBA to R&D headers to fit the alumaframe after trying about 5 different off the shelf headers and two different sets of "custom headers" that just never fit right.
      1967 Cougar XR7, DSE, Sbf, TKO600. PM me about wheel tool rental

There was a LOT of fabrication to make the DSE Mustang Alumaframe and Quadralink suspensions work on the Fairlane. When we called DSE and asked about the feasibility of adapting their Mustang equipment to the Fairlane body their comment was "How good are you at fabrication?" Fortunately the guys at GTS Customs are very good at it. Once the proper locations were decided, the fab work was building the mounting brackets, spacers, and making sure it was all straight. I don't have the necessary talent or ability to do this type of work. These guys are experienced at building race cars virtually from scratch, so I was never worried about how it would turn out.

The headers were built by another race car builder here in GA. Each header pipe is individually mounted to the heads and leads to a collector. To be removed they will have to come out one at a time. They're made of stainless steel. He said it was among the hardest projects he's ever done.
      Last edited by xrttman; 01-25-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Yep, nothing is easy when you go the road less traveled. Something the Camaro, Chevelle and Mustang Guys never really get the joy of experiencing.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

Getting closer and closer to driving this thing. It's going through a final buff this week (hence the yellow tape around trim). Still needs fender and quarter emblems and badges
      added. If the weather will break, this week will be letting the Fi-Tech injection go through it's learning process and programing the GearStar AOD tranny.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Looks fantastic, very classy overall and will look fresh for years to come.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

Stunning! Love the stance. Do you have any pics of the rear suspension and how the DSE Mustang kit was adapted? I have a 66 fairlane 500 that I'm debating suspension options on now.

Woo Hoo!

Gorgeous car, great job

Nice!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Beautiful car!
      John Brown
      1971 Nova - Project Car
      1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
      Instagram @wilwaxu
      Facebook @wilwaxu

Quote Originally Posted by Cal99 View Post
      Stunning! Love the stance. Do you have any pics of the rear suspension and how the DSE Mustang kit was adapted? I have a 66 fairlane 500 that I'm debating suspension options on now.
      To my understanding, the front is not incredibly hard to adapt. I spoke with a DSE fabricator when buying the alumaframe for my car and he said he had personally done it on a first gen cougar per instructions and had done one on a 64/5 falcon with a little extra measuring. the rear is where you will find most of the difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by xrttman View Post
      The headers were built by another race car builder here in GA. Each header pipe is individually mounted to the heads and leads to a collector. To be removed they will have to come out one at a time. They're made of stainless steel. He said it was among the hardest projects he's ever done.
      One of our main goals when doing the R&D was to make sure the headers come out with the motor in the car. We tried about 8 different off the shelf sets to see what would need to be modified. We tried 2 sets of custom built headers that the builder swore would fit and they didn't. hopefully ill update my thread with some new pictures here soon.

As soon as I can get the car back on the lift, and as soon as I recover from some "old man" surgery this week, I'll get some photos of the DSE Mustang components and how they adapt to the Fairlane or Cyclone chassis.

FINALLY I'M ALMOST READY TO TAKE IT HOME!!. The console is the only item left to finish. I can't wait to put the Detroit Speed suspension to work. I'll post better photos when it leaves the shop.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

What's hiding behind the trunk panel?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com