Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Pro-Touring car prices???

best thread in a while and w/ the barrett jackson auction going on, relevant. too bad because i wanted to know what people would charge for a build. interesting conversation because i'm in the process of a build. seems like some of the cars at the auction are fair, of course most r not the high dollar pro-touring cars we c here but still some nice cars...

Country Flag: United States
      Spent the day at Barrett Jackson yesterday. I have to say I was generally disappointed with the quality in general on most of the cars. Especially the paint. Some were nice but not too many.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

thanks don, tv makes it difficult to truly see the build, do u think the cars were worth the money? were they old builds in general or newer?
      Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Spent the day at Barrett Jackson yesterday. I have to say I was generally disappointed with the quality in general on most of the cars. Especially the paint. Some were nice but not too many.

Don

Don
      I've noticed that, even down here at the original event... Scottsdale. They used to be discriminating, but now they'll let anyone in. I noticed last year that there were a lot of glossed over, total pigs that were clearly done as quick flips with poor detail, and/or bodywork. This is definitely a problem with the moneygrab from B-J, Mecum, and all the auction companies with their mentality of flooding the market with auctions every other week... the rush for more supply results in lesser quality junk.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

true, so what do u think places like kindig charges for a build or some of the other shows on tv?

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      I've noticed that, even down here at the original event... Scottsdale. They used to be discriminating, but now they'll let anyone in. I noticed last year that there were a lot of glossed over, total pigs that were clearly done as quick flips with poor detail, and/or bodywork. This is definitely a problem with the moneygrab from B-J, Mecum, and all the auction companies with their mentality of flooding the market with auctions every other week... the rush for more supply results in lesser quality junk.

200k That can go up or down depending on about 10 million things.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

200k, holy great mother of%$#@$%%%!

really?

Add up the following:

The price of the car
      The price of the parts

That will fall anywhere between 60k to 120k

Now you have to patch, paint, powdercoat, plate and polish, phit it all up, and don't forget 'bout the 'polstery. 1 guy in 6 months can't do all of that and that's 1000 hours......75k.

So if you paid a shop and didn't do a thing yourself, and stuck to a budget on wheels, suspension, and drivetrain, stayed mostly stock inside and out, you may get it done for 140ish.....
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Wagon
      200k, holy great mother of%$#@$%%% ... really?
      My last three customer builds have all been in that range +/- $50k. Donny's right: don't forget the upholstery, stereo, and related interior pieces. It takes hundreds and hundreds of hours to custom fit all the parts you typically see in a major build.

One doesn't have to have such a car. Snag a running vehicle that's not in huge demand and do the changes yourself. You'll have a lot of fun, and a big sense of accomplishment. See Andrew Borodin's Cougar thread...

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...es-and-videos)
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Depends greatly on the car. Like the 57 Fairlane Kindig built this season, he mentioned 5000 hours in labor. So figure $100 an hour for a premium shop, that's $500,000 in LABOR ALONE.

That's a better deal though than that crook Dan on Fantomworks. He'll charge you $15k for a tune-up and car wash.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

so it seems like what i am reading is the paint and body can be the money vacuums.

Quote Originally Posted by nvawgn View Post
      so it seems like what i am reading is the paint and body can be the money vacuums.
      The whole thing is a money vacuum. Paint and body, sure. But what people are trying to say is that's just the beginning.

But a custom interior? Big money. Hell, even restoring a stock interior can kill you. It's time consuming to disassemble a vintage dash and restore all the chromed plastic and faded gauge faces. That super clean engine bay with the wires all tucked and hidden and every wire at exactly the right length? Huge time sink. Make the stereo not only work, but sound really good and not shake the car to bits? More time.

It's all time.
      Andrew Scott
      '87 GN - 12.8 @ 108
      https://www.andrewdscott.com
      Instagram: @andrewdscott12
      Twitter: @Andrew1427

The amazing thing is the speed in which prices have gone up. I had a bunch of old receipts when my Firebird made it over and one of them was for the paint job...amazing work, porcelain like finish using a really expensive (or so I thought at the time) color shifting paint. The enormous grand total? 5K. Ha! And back then I was blown away by how expensive I thought it was! And thats a complete change...door jambs, trunk, all glass/panels taken off etc etc. It really does seem like this type of work in general has really escalated. Along with the prices for cars themselves...
      Manuel Scettri
      ------------------------------------------------
      1973 Firebird - Pontiac 455
      1990 2 Door 4Runner - byebye
      1990 2 Door 4Runner - byebye
      2016 KIA Sportage diesel - The Daily Driver

Don
      Welcome the BJ!

The dirty little secret that only those that have a have actually attended come to realize.

Yes there are some nice cars at a BJ auction AND there are also a lot of what can only be called "Auction Cars". Because of this there can be some great buys at BJ. Just park you A$$ by the auction block and wait and you will find a great deal.

Particularly true at the Scottsdale auction early in the week!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      plus the price of the car to start building with. That will get you a nice reliable driver with good-really good paint and finish. If you start adding zoomy items like superchargers, turbos, custom chassis or complete frames, carbon brakes, or custom fabricated sheetmetal work...add another 50-100% to that.
      The cars that you see debut at SEMA, the artwork cars...the ones everyone talks about...add 500% or more.

Having said all that, [and having owner and built cars like that before] It is entirely feasible that one can find a clean Camaro/Chevelle/Mustang/Nova/etc in a color that they can stand, and bolt parts to it to end up with a cool hotrod for under 50k. You likely won't be featured in any magazines or at SEMA, but that stuff is a pain in the ass anyway. Build what you can afford and enjoy it.
      Bret Voelkel
      Director of Innovation Fox Powered Vehicles Group
      Founder/ Former Owner
      RideTech/Air Ride Technologies, Inc.

How do you spell Impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by bret View Post
      plus the price of the car to start building with. That will get you a nice reliable driver with good-really good paint and finish. If you start adding zoomy items like superchargers, turbos, custom chassis or complete frames, carbon brakes, or custom fabricated sheetmetal work...add another 50-100% to that.
      The cars that you see debut at SEMA, the artwork cars...the ones everyone talks about...add 500% or more.

Having said all that, [and having owner and built cars like that before] It is entirely feasible that one can find a clean Camaro/Chevelle/Mustang/Nova/etc in a color that they can stand, and bolt parts to it to end up with a cool hotrod for under 50k. You likely won't be featured in any magazines or at SEMA, but that stuff is a pain in the ass anyway. Build what you can afford and enjoy it.
      The Stielow car is a Patina Car - saves a TON of Money right there!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com