Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Wheel Finish Choice??

I am shopping for wheels for my 1969 Camaro Convertible project. I am fairly indecisive picking a wheel finish:( I probably have been accused of being old school and need to "get up with the times" With that said I have always purchased fully polished wheels in the past. However, a couple buddies think I should consider a powder coated center and polished outer. Both styles look very nice and can't decide which to purchase:( Any thoughts would be welcome and appreciated!! Thanks for your time

Lonnie

I am also very old school and still love my wheels fully polished. Once, I had a set of Revolution Wheels with a black powder coated centers with polished outers on my 93 C4 Corvette 40th Anniversary Ruby Red and it looked Ok but, I ended up getting a set of Forgeline RS2 Wheels that were fully polished and like them a lot more than the Revolutions. I guess I am just old school and I still have a love for the Cragar SS 5 Spoke wheels.

Currently, I am running the Forgeline GA3R wheels on my 89 C4 Corvette Autocross car and the outers are fully polished and the centers are "Ball Polished".
      Name:  20170708_110053.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  194.4 KB
      Name:  20170708_110312.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  208.5 KB
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Thanks for sharing Kenny

I used to Love Polished Wheels - I now like PC centers as long as it isn't black

Powder Coated Options

Name:  ConcaveProTouringLogo.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  6.7 KB
      Name:  MR15-CAMBER-GMG_F-02.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  14.7 KB
      Camber Gunmetal Matte
      Name:  MS25-GTR-BSG_F-01.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  15.3 KB
      GTR Smoke Powder Coat
      Name:  MR35-HYDRO-BCG_F-01.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  13.7 KB
      Hydro Brushed with Clear Coat

It just depends on the car. The wheel finish needs to complement the cars overall look. Do have any pictures?

If you have the time and patience to deal with keeping polished wheels... polished, go shiny! Just my opinion, but my background is Industrial design and nothing pops a car like a set of polished or chromed wheels. Highly polished wheels have been a mainstay in the automotive performance wheel business for decades. Personally, I feel that PC centers, especially darker centers are trendy. I'm contemplating a set of billet wheels right now for my car and I know firsthand that polishing billet properly is tedious but rewarding. Regardless of finish... wheels perform the same. So its really a matter of maintenance. And if you're not up to polishing, clear powder coatings are available although I think you lose some of the "visual punch" when they're coated.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Thanks to all for the responses! Unfortunately, the car is still under construction and I haven't decided on a paint color yet. Currently the car is white, so I may stay with white or I may paint viper yellow like the 1969 camaro coupe I just sold? Trying to create a roller and get the LSA/t56 magnum retrofitted in and driving prior to being to concerned with paint. Thanks again everybody!

Polished lip with a grey/smoked center would work well with just about any look and paint color, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      Polished lip with a grey/smoked center would work well with just about any look and paint color, imo.
      Thanks again for all of the responses! This is the direction I'm leaning

I too had this dilemma when choosing my custom wheels and since mine were completely custom with a hefty price tag, you are even more scared of making the wrong decision. As stated above, it all depends on the look and paint color(s) you decide upon. Personally I feel if you go with a light color, go with dark centers and polished outers. Dark colors POP with highly polished wheels. My car is black and I was still almost sold on the black centers and polished outers until I started googling pictures. I went fully polished and am super happy with my decision. Remember in the end the decision has to be yours. My wife hated the wheels I picked out and thought the polished was too much.........until he saw them mounted and put them on the car. Also things to consider will be if you are doing chrome or painted bumpers, door handles etc. Good luck
      Attached Images Attached Images  

decisions, decisions, decisions..... I'm there with ya'. I like the all shiny ones but the grey centered ones are really growing on me.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
      I too had this dilemma when choosing my custom wheels and since mine were completely custom with a hefty price tag, you are even more scared of making the wrong decision.
      I definitely hear you there! My wheels will be custom too as I need to clear C6 Z06 calipers. Your car and garage look amazing Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      decisions, decisions, decisions..... I'm there with ya'. I like the all shiny ones but the grey centered ones are really growing on me.
      I am right there with you too I have decided to take the plunge and go with polished hoops and titanium grey centers. Hopefully in 6 weeks I won't be disappointed! Thanks to all you have taken time to contribute

Lonnie

Wheels are such a personal thing that it is hard for anyone to recommend wheels for anyone else. The best advice I can offer is that you look at lots of pics of cars like yours and see what attracts you. You will know have found a posible candidate when you seem to keep coming back to look at a specific picture over and over. That said, after many months of looking here is what I finally decided on.

Name:  img_7018.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  285.8 KB

Name:  Camaro 114.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  267.3 KB
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Looks great Steve! Thanks for sharing

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com