Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

What's up with Crate motor Mufflers?

I'm in the market for mufflers for my LS3, and I ran across the ad from Borla for Crate Motor Mufflers. Way cool, designed specifically for different crate motors..... I thought now how nice is that. Then I saw the price..... $255 each, then there is the mounting kit, extra. By the time your done just the mufflers could set you back $600 or more if you choose to use the recommended $120. resonators... How does a sheet metal box cost $250 bucks? I get the development costs and production setup costs, but really, a complete stainless steel mandrel bent system can be had for a whole lot less,,, Somebody please explain.
      Thanks
      Confused

It's sucker pricing, trying to drain more dollars from the pro-touring faithful. The Borla XS is a very nice muffler, however--my newest setup uses one, along with a Dynomax Race Bullet. With all piping and headers, I might have hit $300.00, not including welding wire . . .

Has anyone used these crate motor mufflers? They sound really good, but would love to get a real life opinion, not just internet audio. I have talked to two folks today that said they were worth the money....... but they were talking "Borla" in general, not specifically these new mufflers.

Country Flag: United States
      I am also interested in hearing more about the "crate motor" special mufflers Borla makes. I am building a '66 Fastback GT with a Coyote swap. I am using Doug's Headers and have settled on the 2.5 diameter pipes, but I am still undecided on mufflers. I have Magnaflows on my '69 Camaro LS3, which sound decent. I have listened to nearly every Borla video depicting their crate-motor mufflers (S-Type & Atak) and it is difficult to truly hear the exhaust in any detail to make a purchase decision. I ran across a thread in a Mustang forum where a builder with a swapped Coyote in a '67 was unhappy with the drone of the Borla mufflers. As "Confused" states, the price of the "crate motor" special mufflers is staggering, particularly when compared to the "regular" Borla, #40358 which is around $100 each. So, like Ole Yeller, I am, likewise, confused.

1969 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
      1969 Corvette Stingray Roadster
      2014 Silverado Ducks Unlimited Ed.

"BORLA", you're paying for the name.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I have the dynatech turbo mufflers and they sound great at idle and when stomping on it. Wouldn't mind if they were just a tad quitier

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com