Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

GPS car tracking?

I am curious if anyone has found a decent and relatively cheap way to track their hot rod via gps?

either a home brew setup, a purchased kit [ideally without a subscription], or maybe even using an old iPhone or something stuck in the car.

1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

bump, anyone?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

You will require a wireless communications link in order to track or locate your vehicle using GPS. You can add a smartphone to your family plan and have it connected to constant power and place/hide the cellphone in your car and use the "Locate My Phone" app, or you don't have On-Star, you get Hum. The Viper alarm system has an optional feature to track your car. In any case, you will require some sort of a wireless communications service that utilizes the cellular telephone system that you'll be charged a service fee.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

gps

Funny you bring this up i recently bought my 9 year old son a gizmo gadget cell phone watch the app for it let's me track him and i got to say im pretty surprised how good it works he can also make calls to us or who we program watch itself cost a little over $100 and the monthly cost is $5 with Verizon you can put one in your car and have it on a charger to track your car it also offer street and satellite view

I am happy with the Cal Amp product. Its used a lot in the rental car and vehicle finance industries. It does have a monthly service charge after 2 years I believe.

http://gpsandtrack.com/car-gps-tracking-system/
      1986 Saleen, Aluminum block 408W, T56, Full Griggs Racing supension

The Cal Amp product seems quite good. I use https://www.mictrack.com/product/4g-gps-tracker/
      They have an app which is ok, I use a H20 wireless sim, $10 for 90 days. You can remotely turn off relay / fuel pump. Geo-fence works nice.
      You can also use this website, which is free for tracking.. http://gps-trace.com/en/index.html

For 20 bucks you can get Tile. I have them and there ok. It use google but its not pin point accurate, with in 20ish feet. I say this because it shows my car across the street! Not a good feeling when your out of the state. You must have bluetooth and gps on your phone. Once its found, it will give you directions using google maps. Loading up the directions, it DOES give you longitude and latitude points. Not sure why it shows two different things.
      They say it only last a year, I got one that is two years old and still shows up. They are small, under 2x2 inch 3/16 thick? A hole to put them on your keys, so you can bolt it somewhere on your ride. DOESNT have to be on the dash, no blinking lights but does make sound IF you use the function to find the tile.

If you get one and it says to replace WAIT before getting a new one. They will contact you, email, and offer you a discount on a new one(s). They have 4 out 5 stars with thousands of reviews on amazon. Cheap insurance, got my first one at tmoblie - you dont have to use their service

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com