Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

GPS Speedo senders, anyone use?

Like the Autometer 5289? Opinions? Any other manufacturers?
      Camaro Convertible Build Pics - http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq198/rob07002/

www.musclerides.com

Rob Stevens

Country Flag: United States
      I have a Speedhut GPS speedo and it seems to work quite well. My trans output shaft speed sensor agrees with it.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Country Flag: Australia
      I've got an AutoMeter guage and am looking to change to a gps sender, do I have to use the AutoMeter sender or will another manufacturers sender work for me?
      68 BB SS Camaro

Curious myself, hence the post. $199 is pricey, but if it works well and fixes a flaky speedo signal, might be worth it.
      Camaro Convertible Build Pics - http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq198/rob07002/

www.musclerides.com

Rob Stevens

It is what fast boats use and they seem to work very well.

Country Flag: Australia
      Rob - Been looking at this unit myself. It comes up as a suggested part for the 4489-M guage I have.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...9020/overview/

I just confirmed with tech support at summit and it will work apparently.

Could also use this sender:
      https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/cyb-69248e
      68 BB SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      I have a Speedhut GPS speedo and it seems to work quite well. My trans output shaft speed sensor agrees with it.
      Same here.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

I'm using all SpeedHut gauges and rather than deal with transmission speedo gears and changing rear axles... I opted for the GPS Speedo. Extremely accurate out of the box, was 100% accurate with my GPS Speedo App on the iPhone which I had been using. I didn't think calibration was necessary... but they recommend doing it anyway. So I did... nothing changed LOL. Hoping to change rear and possibly ratio... so it makes no difference which direction I go.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

I'm using the Autometer GPS unit with my Autometer Speedo. The system is simple to install and extremely accurate. The antenna is about the size of a postage stamp, has a magnetic base and is virtually un-noticeable on the dash. The only down side is that it will not work in a tunnel or on roads with a tree canopy which block the signal. Also, it takes a couple of minutes at start up to acquire a satellite signal so if you just hop in the car and start driving it may not show any speed at first. It is my understanding that any brand GPS will work with any brand gauge provided you can set the sample rates the same on both gauge and sender. IMO, one big advantage of a GPS Speedo is that you can change gearing or tire size without effecting the accuracy of the speed reading.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I am using a Speedhut GPS speedo and I like it very well. The GPS speedo is he only way to go.

--
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com