Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Midnight Rider - 2001 S10 Project

How is this project name not already used? Anyway, I've been lurking around here some for a while now and thought I would start a build thread since S10Forum is just about dead.

Early this year I split up with my wife and no longer had easy access to her SUV so I knew I needed a truck. But when I researched what was available to trade my daily driver Mustang in for, nothing at all was interesting to me. Especially with the $40K price tags. So I decided to build something myself that I would actually enjoy driving and would also be a good way to spend my time while going through all the divorce crap. Ended up buying a 2001 single cab step side S-10 with a 4.6 V6 and 5 speed manual, knowing I would be swapping in a V8 and probably a 6 speed manual.

The truck has the ZQ8 suspension package and bucket seats with console. The PO installed Blazer discs on the 8.5 rear end and also an aftermarket limited slip diff. Since I bought the truck in March I installed tube upper and lower control arms, C5 rotors with Camaro calipers on the front and went from 17" to 18" wheels. I also updated most of the exterior lighting, installed a step shave kit and applied a coat of hotrod black to the truck.

I have an all aluminum 6.0 liter LS motor to go in it now and a T56 from a 2000 Camaro. Hoping to start the swap late this month and have it back on the road sometime in December.

Pro touring is the best description I can come up with for what I want to build, so here I am. My goals for the build are below.

1. Reliability
      2. Fun to drive
      3. Ability to haul a sport motorcycle in the bed to track days and such
      4. Handle well enough to try some local SCCA events next year
      5. Able to pull a small trailer with two motorcycles occasionally. (Both my bikes together only weigh ~800#)

Here's what I started with. Pic is from PO.

And here is what it looks like now.

Pic of the motor mocked up with Stainless Works long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by iScream View Post
      How is this project name not already used? Anyway, I've been lurking around here some for a while now and thought I would start a build thread since S10Forum is just about dead.

Early this year I split up with my wife and no longer had easy access to her SUV so I knew I needed a truck. But when I researched what was available to trade my daily driver Mustang in for, nothing at all was interesting to me. Especially with the $40K price tags. So I decided to build something myself that I would actually enjoy driving and would also be a good way to spend my time while going through all the divorce crap. Ended up buying a 2001 single cab step side S-10 with a 4.6 V6 and 5 speed manual, knowing I would be swapping in a V8 and probably a 6 speed manual.

The truck has the ZQ8 suspension package and bucket seats with console. The PO installed Blazer discs on the 8.5 rear end and also an aftermarket limited slip diff. Since I bought the truck in March I installed tube upper and lower control arms, C5 rotors with Camaro calipers on the front and went from 17" to 18" wheels. I also updated most of the exterior lighting, installed a step shave kit and applied a coat of hotrod black to the truck.

I have an all aluminum 6.0 liter LS motor to go in it now and a T56 from a 2000 Camaro. Hoping to start the swap late this month and have it back on the road sometime in December.

Pro touring is the best description I can come up with for what I want to build, so here I am. My goals for the build are below.

1. Reliability
      2. Fun to drive
      3. Ability to haul a sport motorcycle in the bed to track days and such
      4. Handle well enough to try some local SCCA events next year
      5. Able to pull a small trailer with two motorcycles occasionally. (Both my bikes together only weigh ~800#)

Here's what I started with. Pic is from PO.

And here is what it looks like now.

Pic of the motor mocked up with Stainless Works long tubes

I'm a Ford guy but I have all the respect for the LS guys. Cheap big hp. I'm the underdog with a old F100. I got to do all kinda tricks to stay on top. Lol

Country Flag: United States
      Sorry to hear about the news, that's tough to deal. Looks like you're heading in the right direction though.

Nice foundation to work off of. Love me some V8 S10s, especially with a manual trans.

Man that's going to be a blast.

Lookin forward to your updates.

I LUV S10's... Good luck with the build...

I have a soft spot s10's aswell. I have a 2000 with a ls3/t56. Looks like you have a good start.

Love those long tubes, but they were a bit out of my budget. My ex had an '01 Extreme standard cab step side, and I was going to buy it after the lease was up and V8 swap it. But the dealer kinda screwed us. Now I'm building an '89 standard cab, 6.0/4L80E.
      S-10 forum is active in some spots. I usually only go to build threads and LS swap sections.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Frank ZX View Post
      I'm a Ford guy but I have all the respect for the LS guys. Cheap big hp. I'm the underdog with a old F100. I got to do all kinda tricks to stay on top. Lol
      I checked out your build thread. That's pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
      Sorry to hear about the news, that's tough to deal. Looks like you're heading in the right direction though.

Nice foundation to work off of. Love me some V8 S10s, especially with a manual trans.

Man that's going to be a blast.

Lookin forward to your updates.
      Quote Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
      I LUV S10's... Good luck with the build...

Thanks guys. Should be a lot of fun once the motor and trans are in there. It already handles pretty decent but I need some better seats. The factory buckets provide no support at all when cornering so I end up bracing myself against the console or door.

Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
      I have a soft spot s10's aswell. I have a 2000 with a ls3/t56. Looks like you have a good start.
      Hey, what did you do for a transmission cross member? That's about the only thing I don't have figured out at this point. I've got CPW poly motor mounts but their cross member doesn't work with the T56.

My motor is almost an LS3. It's a 2007 L76 so I've got the rectangular port heads but I don't have light weight valves and it's only 6.0 liters. I'm about to order DoD and VVT delete kits from Texas Speed and probably their Stage 1 cam kit. Talked to them at LS Fest and they say I should end up close to 500HP at the crank with just the cam and my long tube headers.

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      Love those long tubes, but they were a bit out of my budget. My ex had an '01 Extreme standard cab step side, and I was going to buy it after the lease was up and V8 swap it. But the dealer kinda screwed us. Now I'm building an '89 standard cab, 6.0/4L80E.
      S-10 forum is active in some spots. I usually only go to build threads and LS swap sections.

Jay
      I almost went with shorties but kept reading about people having trouble keeping them from leaking. And I really wanted the long tubes so I splurged on them.

That's pretty much where I spend my time on S10Forum too. Seems like there are 5 or so long timers still active on there but most others have moved on. They left some great how to threads behind though.

Good luck on your 89.

Quote Originally Posted by iScream View Post
      Hey, what did you do for a transmission cross member? That's about the only thing I don't have figured out at this point. I've got CPW poly motor mounts but their cross member doesn't work with the T56.

My motor is almost an LS3. It's a 2007 L76 so I've got the rectangular port heads but I don't have light weight valves and it's only 6.0 liters. I'm about to order DoD and VVT delete kits from Texas Speed and probably their Stage 1 cam kit. Talked to them at LS Fest and they say I should end up close to 500HP at the crank with just the cam and my long tube headers.
      I made my own cross member. You will have a solid engine combination. I was at ls fest in the brandy wine candy regular cab.Name:  FB_IMG_1506204985360.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  153.2 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com