Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: United States
      It still puzzles me that GM would actually make a unique ECU specifically for the GMPP kits. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think it is. Anyone know who makes the ECUs for GM?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      It still puzzles me that GM would actually make a unique ECU specifically for the GMPP kits. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think it is. Anyone know who makes the ECUs for GM?

Andrew
      I am guessing it is profit driven. They don’t want guys using low cost junk yard ECM’s instead of the GMPP part.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I doubt we're ever going to get a definitive answer on this -- and even experimental results will only reflect the capabilities of that particular ECM, and not GMPP ECMs in general. It seems to me that "de-tuned" batches of ECMs might be cost effective. Perhaps an annual supply of them would make sense, particularly if they can skip the whole emissions certification process. In the meantime, boneyard E67s and aftermarket (not GMPP) harnesses is my plan for the future.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post

Andrew
      Delphi in Kokomo IN I believe makes them, or used to. They did when I was there 1998-2008. They also make/made the MEFI controller. I got one while I was there. Dont know what I will ever do with it.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I doubt we're ever going to get a definitive answer on this -- and even experimental results will only reflect the capabilities of that particular ECM, and not GMPP ECMs in general. It seems to me that "de-tuned" batches of ECMs might be cost effective. Perhaps an annual supply of them would make sense, particularly if they can skip the whole emissions certification process. In the meantime, boneyard E67s and aftermarket (not GMPP) harnesses is my plan for the future.
      I guess a batch or two per year can be justified. GMPP must be selling a ton of these harnesses in order to do that.

This also makes sense when we look at the evolution of the kits in the context of what has worked (pwm) and what now doesn't. When I got my harness and ECU in 2008, I am pretty sure GMPP just started offering them. Since it was a new product, volumes were low, so it made sense to use an existing (2006 CTSV, I believe) e67 ECU. Time goes by, the kits get more popular, volumes are there to justify a unique to GMPP version of the e67. They get rid of a bunch of features to lower cost and to reduce complexity (also reduces cost due to less tech support).

I suspect the tipping point was around 2011-2012...Again, pure speculation...

JP...can you take some pictures of the GMPP e67? I am wondering if we can identify yours from mine (later vs. early). Surely there have to be external markings to distinguish the two. Or just send it to me...LOL

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 10-14-2017 at 06:56 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Scot
      They also make/made the MEFI controller.
      I'm a big fan of the MEFI-IV. Is that what you have? And a harness? They support DBW, closed loop operation, and sequential spark and injector control. Software can be an issue I suppose.
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
      Or just send it to me...
      Alabama address, please.
      John Parsons

Alabama address, please.
      Texted it to you :-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I'm a big fan of the MEFI-IV. Is that what you have? And a harness? They support DBW, closed loop operation, and sequential spark and injector control. Software can be an issue I suppose.
      I believe it is the MEFI-IV, I have some kind of harness that goes with it, but don't know what it's for, its V8.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by cdrod View Post
      I'm considering a pwm fan controller from AutoCool. He makes a 50 amp and an 85 amp controller. The reviews of the Derale units are horrible, and the DCC controllers are known for very long lead times. The AutoCool50 is about $125. Here's a pic:
      qAttachment 145141
      My DCC stuff came fairly quickly. It also has an LED and control knob to mount in the cabin. Putting the controls on the box itself makes adjustments a hassle. In the cabin you can change it on the fly.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

I would like to know which unit is smaller ? The DCC or the Autocoolguy. This is the 2 fan unit. FK75 for DCC and the Autocool100.

The DCC unit is smaller than the Autocoolguy unit. I've been using a DCC unit for years with zero problems.

VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Deltapag.com

John is a great guy. Custom shroud. Fans and controler for just under $800. Very comparable with other brushless fans on the market.
      86 Mustang
      454 LS3 Mast 4500 intake FTI cam Holley EFI Drag radials and pump gas 9.24 143.73

79 Z28 Bonspeed GT-B DSE front and rear Z51 Brakes 5.3 Holley EFI Vintage Air

Quote Originally Posted by gray86hach View Post
      Deltapag.com

John is a great guy. Custom shroud. Fans and controler for just under $800. Very comparable with other brushless fans on the market.
      Do you have any pics of the controller installed?
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Electric fans are not rocket science-nor is the stand alone performance of them being a problem when using a tried/true relay setup triggered off temp switches-whether it be GM switches or a BMW dual temp switch. Using fixed, coil resistors mounted on the shroud you can have up to 4 fan speeds if you want to-imo that to me is worth NOT farting around with PCM fan tables or the latest flavor of the month fan controller.
      I think we are making the problem much more complicated that is actually is.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

I just converted an older customer's car from relay control to the DC Controls box recommended by Carl.

Customer loves the quieter fans, current draw is lower, water temps stay constant, fan doesn't run all the time when the A/C is on, etc.

I threw the old relays away, since they were both visibly heat damaged from the current draw (all parts came from the GMPP's kit). Not only that, but the connectors to the relays had melted such that I couldn't get them out of the wiring box. Perhaps the dual Spal fans exceeded the relay's capacity (though the specs say no). More likely the relays supplied by GMPP were not quite up to their ratings.

A good fan controller is superior to on/off relay control, if you don't mind the extra complexity required.
      Last edited by parsonsj; 05-31-2018 at 01:32 PM.
      John Parsons

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com