Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

New member from Florida

Hi, I'm Jim but most people call me Skippy. After a dozen years of running around with a supercharged NSX, I sold it and went 180 degrees the other direction and bought a heavily modified 68 Mustang coupe.

One of the first questions folks seem to want to know is if I built it or bought it. I admit, I bought it this way but whoever built it had a particular vision that I really like. It does a good job of riding the edge of street-able versus ridiculous.

So, this is my current toy. It's not perfect by a long shot, but it's solid and it makes the most delightful noises. It's obviously been lowered quite a lot and now has 17" & 18" wheels. The original engine is long gone, replaced by a 393 Windsor stroker with a pretty wild cam. The tranny is a World Class T5. It's got subframe connectors, racing seats w/harness, big gaudy gauges and disc brakes all around. I've crawled over, under, inside and out and have yet to find a rust spot or bubble in the paint. I don't know how much metal has been replaced, but it looks like a thorough job.

I had never heard of "Pro-Touring" before I turned up the ad for this car, so it's nice to find this site. My #1 priority will be to make it a little more pleasant to drive without making big changes to the way it looks. See y'all around!

Country Flag: United States
      What demon of the underworld did the previous owner pay off to get a WC T-5 to last behind an engine that potent?

Looks like a sweet ride. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by SSLOW6.0 View Post
      What demon of the underworld did the previous owner pay off to get a WC T-5 to last behind an engine that potent?
      I don't think the previous owner romped on it much. To be honest, I'm a bit scared of it myself but I'm sure I'll get over that. Is the T5 known to be weak? It's got an 8" rear which I figured might be the weak link.

The reality is I have a LOT to learn.

Also, it seems like someone always asks so here's a picture of the Mustang's predecessor. It was a hell of a car for a long time. I put 130,000 miles on it in 12 years and sold it for $5,000 more than I paid (let's not talk about the money I spent on it while I owned it though. ). In the end it was becoming less reliable and it was never cheap to fix, so I cut it loose. 1995 NSX w/Comptech supercharger.

http://techquarium.com/gallery2z/d/60423-2/DSC_0558.jpg

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
      I don't think the previous owner romped on it much. To be honest, I'm a bit scared of it myself but I'm sure I'll get over that. Is the T5 known to be weak? It's got an 8" rear which I figured might be the weak link.

The reality is I have a LOT to learn.

Also, it seems like someone always asks so here's a picture of the Mustang's predecessor. It was a hell of a car for a long time. I put 130,000 miles on it in 12 years and sold it for $5,000 more than I paid (let's not talk about the money I spent on it while I owned it though. ). In the end it was becoming less reliable and it was never cheap to fix, so I cut it loose. 1995 NSX w/Comptech supercharger.

http://techquarium.com/gallery2z/d/60423-2/DSC_0558.jpg
      The 8 inch is a bit better than 7.5 inch rear I have in my car, a ford 9inch or an 8.8 would be an upgrade for you. The T-5 is one of the best shifting transmission in the world, but the downfall is that it is only rated to about 300 ft/lbs. Some guys run a bunch of power through them and they hold up, some guys kill them behind stock 302's.

That's a pretty car--I had three '68s way back when! It will be much better when you add travel back into the front suspension. The 8-inch is a great, strong rear axle, and they've actually been making a comeback in recent years for their lightness (totally relative). The T-5 will start eating itself quickly when you use it at its torque peak (with frequent redlining) for a bit of time (like on a track day).

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com