Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: Australia

FRS6 - An Audi RS6 hidden under a 1950 F1 truck

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for quite some time. I love the ideas and concepts you guys come up with and I love taking things on myself like many here. A build of my own, something right out there, has always had me interested. And while I have one long term project on the go, a 69 Mach 1 428CJ Mustang, another build was just a dream until after that one was complete. Which mind you is waaay off! That was until I put an offer one night, after a few drinks, on a 1950 F1 cab. As pleased as my wife was to hear about it, I won the cab and had to hide my tail between my legs when returning home with it.

The toe boards have some cancer but the rear is very solid and the rest is great too. I had no idea what I was going to do with it but tuck it to the side until the time came along.
      After speaking with my engineer, he wanted an independent chassis to mount it onto so I kept my eyes out. Ended up finding a 1981 Bronco chassis about 6 hours from me for the right price so went and collected it.

I still had no idea which direction to go with it I but wanted something very different to the norm. Definitely no GM stuff (sorry GM guys) and I didn't want to do a mod motor even though they are quite reasonably priced here now and easy to find. I'm building a stroked 462 with EFI for my 69 Mustang so didn't want anything similar to it either as that itch is already going to be scratched with that car.
      I had been keeping my eye on damaged Euro cars as they sell for a very reasonable price and have some amazing motors under the hood. I almost bought a couple of V8 and a V12 AMG Mercs but they ended up just a tad over the depth of my pocket. A couple of weeks ago though I scored this, a lightly damaged 2003 Audi RS6 with the twin turbo V8 and quattro. These things were $219k new here in Australia! I nearly fell over when I found that out.
      I got it home, all the critical stuff is still perfect. I haven't driven it yet as it needs the radiator replaced but I will get to that once I can find one. Not having a lot of luck there so may have to get a custom one. I'm really looking forward to taking it for a run though. The power to weight is pretty impressive.

At this point my idea is to use all the driveline, suspension and HUGE brakes from the Audi and leave the cab as is, no new paint. Build a timber tray back out of old timber boards and perhaps just an old grill off something with an open bonnet, that old 30's rod kind of look. I'd like it to still look like an old beaten up truck that has been sitting in the paddock for the last 65 years but pretty much the ultimate off the shelf sleeper underneath. I wont be modding the engine and will use the electronics standard to avoid any possible headaches. This is a low budget build, the 69 Mustang has well and truly taken car of my desire to spend big on more cars.
      I thought badging it FRS6, use the RS6 badges with an old ford F badge in front. I thought that was fitting.

Not a huge amount of info out there on these things as they appear to be quite rare. And I haven't really seen much in the way of people using the drivelines other than the guy on here putting an Audi V8 into a Porsche. I am new to Euro stuff but play with Ford stuff all the time. I'm hoping this idea will work, I have an appointment with the engineer next week to discuss a build plan. Our registration rules here are pretty complex compared to you US guys so I have to keep on the happy side of the rule book.
      Anyway, am looking forward to this. It'll be slow but it's already got my mind running wild at night.

Cheers,
      Ash

Awesome idea! Love it. Keen to see where this goes.

With the radiator, I'd be getting in touch with PWR. They do great work.
      1967 Mustang Fastback - widebody https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...stang-Fastback
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      1961 Oldsmobile 88 "bubbletop" = next project

Thanks, Godbolt! I love seeing the updates on your build, it's amazing work!

I'm hoping with the rad I can use a standard V8 unit and have the tanks swapped around from mine to it. My right side plastic tank is split.
      Mine has an extra outlet for the turbo lines, lower left side, which unfortunately appears to be different to the US models otherwise I would get one from there. I'm going to have to make a trip to Sydney for the day and visit some wreckers with my rad in hand to compare.

Country Flag: United States
      looks like a great project, I like your ideas!

German stuff is complex, unnecessarily so, and they use a LOT of plastic in stupid places (though everyone is using plastic rad ends now, smh). I've been messing with an '04 BMW, and there are SO many small parts, o-rings and things that wear out it's ridiculous. just chasing down the cause of a check engine light can give you fits!
      not to dissuade you from the Audi, but they are maintenance nightmares. you'll need to find a good alternate source for parts besides the dealer. here in the states I use FCP Euro and ECS Tuning.

hope it all goes well!
      Keith C.

Definitely different. I'll like Audi stuff, I'll be interested to see how you put it together.
      Traven

That RS6 is a monster, keep the weight and CG down and you will have a blast
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

this is a watcher.
      Tim Mc
      71 Cutlass
      66 Tempest
      65 cutlass
      15 BMW GSA

Subscribed!!!!!
      64 Mercury Comet
      408w boosted
      More boost on the way!

are you taking anything for your ADD.? lol cool concept indeed! i thnk if this is the direction your going to go you can pitch the frame and just start from scratch. hope you have a great electric guy cause your going to need it! can't wait to see how this plays out.

I love Ford trucks, can't wait to see this!

This could be Amazing! I would change the name though - to me an FRS is a Toyota!

Maybe track down a badge from a 1950 F-6

Sorry guys, I didn't get an email notification for the new posts. But thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
      looks like a great project, I like your ideas!

German stuff is complex, unnecessarily so, and they use a LOT of plastic in stupid places (though everyone is using plastic rad ends now, smh). I've been messing with an '04 BMW, and there are SO many small parts, o-rings and things that wear out it's ridiculous. just chasing down the cause of a check engine light can give you fits!
      not to dissuade you from the Audi, but they are maintenance nightmares. you'll need to find a good alternate source for parts besides the dealer. here in the states I use FCP Euro and ECS Tuning.

hope it all goes well!
      That's all good to find an alternate dealer. I rarely buy things in Aus anyway due to price. I'm happy to wait the week and have things sent from overseas. Living rural I don't have anything close by anyway.

And yep, lots of plastic! But lots of alloy in this thing too. Even the bumper supports were machined alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by E.rodz View Post
      i thnk if this is the direction your going to go you can pitch the frame and just start from scratch. hope you have a great electric guy cause your going to need it! can't wait to see how this plays out.
      I agree, ditching the frame would be the go but I can't due to the pain the butt rules we have here. The car has to be built around the frame VIN. So with this frame being a 1981, I have to comply with 1981 regulations for registration. If I were to build a new frame, it would need to comply with todays regulations. And screw trying to do that to try and keep them happy. I'll find out next week just how much I can change this frame and what I can exactly do.
      I was hoping to use the cabs VIN but unless I got my hands on an F1 frame, that wont work.

This Bronco frame will stronger compared to an F1 frame, that's if I could find one. Plus its in pretty solid condition. It's also very close to the wheelbase of the Audi, about 100mm difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      This could be Amazing! I would change the name though - to me an FRS is a Toyota!
      I had to Google what an FRS Toyota was, haha. I don't think I'm too worried about upsetting those guys. Or ladies.

How about F-RS6, put a dash between the new and old badges?

Quote Originally Posted by brawls43 View Post
      Maybe track down a badge from a 1950 F-6
      Definitely something old, preferably ugly too. I love it!

I need to go check my spare parts stash. I may have the emblems from the hood of a F6. Mine would be from a 51 though.

That'd be great thanks, wfo. Post a pic if you find anything. Cheers

The shiny is real good. The dirty one needs dent repair.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for going to the effort there, wfo. Much appreciated. I was not familiar with the style though and unfortunately that is not what I had in mind. I think I'll chase down a small "F", a similar size to the RS6 badge which is quite little.
      But thanks again!

Something like this was what I meant, and maybe get tricky and sneak in an RS, maybe 3D print something for a custom emblem.

Name:  f6.jpg
Views: 6042
Size:  62.8 KB

Country Flag: Sweden
      Veeeerrrrry cool project! Good luck! I had some thoughts about putting my -64 Chevy C10 longbed body over the chassis of a BMW 740 E38, but I decided I had another project that I was already in over my head on!

Name:  Namnlös.jpg
Views: 6211
Size:  208.4 KB
      Henrik

"Mechanix Menace": An LS7-motivated, chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified 1973 Datsun 240Z

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z

Awesome and out of the box, I love it.
      You're lucky to get RS6s I'm pretty sure they are one of the few that don't come state side.

subd

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com