Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

5th gen console mods for Auto Meter gauge pod

I'm putting a 5th gen console in my 69 Camaro with some direction from Jeff (jwcarguy) Thanks Jeff!

I decided to try my luck at making the mods to put an Auto Meter gauge pod in my 5 gen console. The console was mounted in the car to check the fitment of my B&M Stealth Pro ratchet shifter and so I could see the console cover on in place. I ended up trimming the change tray flush with the bottom where it started to turn in for the tray. I left the part you see with the orange tape for strength.

Make sure you measure there is room for the gauges and the brackets that hold them in. Your brackets to install the console might be in the way of the fitment. you can see my bracket if way forward so it's not in the way.

I'm going to show how I did my gauge pod install, I know there are probably better and maybe easier ways but here's what I did.
      First I cut out the change tray from the console after measuring how much needed to be removed..

Then I measured and cut the gauge pod to fit the opening, and glued small tabs to hold it in place which I had to trim later.
      You may want to do this step after you close in the hole with the ABS the check what you need to trim.

The tabs ended up being an unnessary step. I used them to hold small pieces I cut for around the gauge pod. I used a piece of ABS (Bought on E Bay) the same thickness as the gauge pod to fill around it to make it flush with the top of the console piece. The pieces on the under side were 1/16".

I filled in the whole opening with 1/8" ABS. I used a heat gun to roll the top to match the console cover then I marked what I needed to remove for the gauge pod and cut it out.

I could have just used long pieces of ABS 1/8" which I ended up using for the strips you can see from the bottom. Around the perimeter of the opening.

The most important thing Measure put witness marks and keep using them.

Then it was time to epoxy the pieces together. I used these epoxy's

The main one I used was the Permatex Plastic welder which I used on most of the pieces. The Permatex 5 minute epoxy is thin and what I used to fill in some fine spaces. But you could use body filler later on. The JB plastic weld is a two part stick you knead together and I used to fill some of the larger gaps.

And here is where I'm at all epoxied up and ready for a thin finish coat of filler to blend all the joints in.

Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Looks good!
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Thanks Going by my buddy's tomorrow to skim coat with filler.
      Wayne

I went by my buddy's shop (He will be painting my car ) to ask him to let me have some filler to finish it up. He says sure as he does with anything I ever need. He takes it fills it we start bull****ting, then he tells me to wait til it hardens, then he sands it down. I told him I'll do it he says it needs another coat put it on and sands that and primes it. He tells me to wait 3-4 day then water sand it with 600. Then he says bring it back and we'll paint it if you want.

Here's how it came out

So I can't say it was all me.
      Wayne

Looks great, I will be following the same steps myself. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours.
      Jeff

If I can do it with my shaky hands, you got this! Jeff gave me some good advice, before you make permanent make sure there is room for the gauges to fit. I installed them to make sure. Sand everywhere you are going to epoxy for better adhesion. post it when your doing it.
      Wayne

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com