Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Looking for information about generators

I've just gotten my power back -- I'm an Irma survivor.

I was out of power for 2 days, and I'd like to have a generator on-hand that will handle my refrigerator, and potentially the workshop A/C (Air conditioning isn't optional during the Florida summer). I also need one for the track-day trailer, which has a 125v 30A connector.

I know nothing about generators. I don't know brands, how quiet they are, fuel source, nothing.

Any knowledge or experience out there?

thanks!
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I don't know a whole lot but get one that varies the engine speed with load. I bought a big Honda generator that does not. Runs wide open regardless of load making it very loud and thirsty. Hate it...

The other thing I learned is that left unused the carburetor gaskets will dry out and leak like crazy when you need it...

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I just bought a Honda EU7000. It Is pretty awesome. All the Honda inverter generators are great. First thing is to add up the load that you anticipate needing.

I've got a Miller inverter-based welder. It's much smaller than its non-inverter cousin, so I appreciate that.

Anybody use a propane or dual-fuel generator? Seems like propane tanks might be better for storage than gasoline.

Also, what about noise? Are some generators quieter than others?
      Last edited by parsonsj; 09-13-2017 at 08:16 AM.
      John Parsons

Some are MUCH quieter. Honda lists DB ratings on their site. My 7000 is 59db I believe. I ran it last weekend for 9 hours running (2) 15k ac units and some lights and used 3 gallons of fuel.
      Last edited by CSG; 09-13-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Hope you did ok with Irma, scary stuff!

Unless you have a 250+ gal propane tank for heat or cooking I would stay with gasoline. The small propane tanks don't last long and you can usually get gas in advance or out of vehicles. We went through some 1-2 week power outages a few years back from ice. I would recommend a 6000-7500 watt generator, I recently upgraded to a generac 7500w (9375 surge) with electric start and it is plenty big for the heat/fridge/lights/tv etc. I've used the electric stove top too, just not the oven. I am not sure about a/c.

A couple notes, watch what electronics you use on the under $1k generators, some computer type equipment can be harmed. I've also fried battery tenders with the generator for some reason. I know the higher end generators are cleaner power for electronics but I've been ok on the $750 type units and have a lot of friends and family using them too, pretty much every winter at some point. Dan
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible project LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1972 Corvette LT1 Stock
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

inverter style generators are what you are wanting if running electronics.

I have an Onan 5.5K propane in my trailer. With the A/C, fridge, etc running, i'll go through two 40# tanks in a 24 hour period (about 20 gallons). They are not as efficient as a gasoline or diesel unit, but fuel storage and carb issues are non existent. I hadn't started my gen since Mathew, and it fired right up for Irma. The suck part is getting propane if you run out at night. I have two extra 40's for weekend events. I carry three 40# tanks on the front (two for gen and one for water heater/fridge) and two more in the back. This gen is super quite.

I used a gasoline Miller Bobcat welder/10K generator to power the house during the storm. It was using about 15 gallons every 12 hours. This gen is super loud!

Not sure any of this helps, but for a portable unit, I go with an Onan or Powertech diesel or LP unit if not using it that often.

Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

John,

My friend sold me on a generator a few years back. Here is what i recommend / know.
      1. If you want a compact gas generator Honda makes a nice unit.
      2. Fuel source Diesel, Gas, Propane/NG. I would stay away from NG/ propane unless you have a massive supply they chew through gas. My fuel choice is Diesel - can be stored easily, you can get large amounts easily, and provides a very efficient typically low RPM generator.
      3. KW rating - This can be a joke at times i see these 10KW advertised generators that are garbage. Look at the sustained KW rating.
      4. I'm not sure of a one generator fits both the rig and home/shop. For my home / shop i want something that will run my entire house with no interruption of my daily life. The generator for the rig will need to be compact (onan makes a good one that goes under RV's)
      5. Brands - Kohler, Honda, Onan, Cummins, Kubota. all make quality generators.

Depending on budget I would look at the like here. It would power everything you could want shop/house/ac/ anything and will last a lifetime.
      http://www.centralmainediesel.com/or...asp?page=KB900

Or something like I bough from a municipal listing Koler Generator with a Lister diesel engine.
      My specs are 8.5 KW constant output. .46 gal/hour at 1800RPM at full out put. Direct injection, battery w/tender and hand crank start, and will run my whole house, well pump, 2 ac zones, and everything in my house. I purchased it for $2200 and it will outlast me.
      https://municibid.com/NetworkedConte...8_fullsize.jpg

Like cars, budget, expectation, and quality play a big part in what you decide.

Nick

I also use an Onan that is fueled with Propane. It is very quiet and as previously stated, you don't have to worry about longterm fuel storage and carb maintenance. Propane burns very clean. Insofar as what size generator to support your needs you will need to determine what will your peak load be in order to run your devices. I have had mine for 15 years with no problem. So far, all I had to do is change the filters and the oil. However, it is coming up for a scheduled valve adjustment very soon.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Thanks for the data, insight, and experience! It's much appreciated.

We were at the Orlando City game (MLS) this past week, and walked past the food trucks outside the stadium. What a great place to shop for generators! We saw DeWalt, Generac, Onan, and Honda gennies all in use. The EU7000 (Honda) was unbelievably quiet. And, it can be paired with a second EU7000 for over 11 Kw for home backup use, and a single one will run my track rig with ease. That's where I'm leaning right now.

I'm going out of town for the week, and I'll buy something when I get back.
      John Parsons

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com