Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Winters Grand National Rear End - In G-body.

Hi Everyone,

Planning a Manual Transmission swap (TKO600) into my 86 Monte SS over the winter need some input on rear ends. As those of us with 7.5 inch ring gears know, they don't hold up well to the added shock load of manual transmissions.

I'm considering both a Ford 9 inch and a GM 8.5 out of a Grand National (if I can find one for a reasonable price) I came across this on Speedway Motors' site and was wondering what y'all thought about it. Has anyone done this before?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Winter...kets,4856.html

I know that I would have to convert the studs to 1/2 in or M12. But beyond that is there any reason not to run this style of rear end in an Autocross / Track day car?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a bolt in rear end for an 86 Monte Carlo SS?

A lot of us are running floater rear ends, they are arguably the best autocross/track day set up going. Speedway is just one source and certainly not a bad choice, but also take a look at Moser and Strange as well. They sell a whole range of circle track rear ends based on a Ford 9". There are also a couple of companies offering hybrid floaters but I'm not a big fan of those. I'm pretty sure Moser can supply a floater rear with the suspension mounts already welded in place. Personally, I'm running a Moser floater and not one problem in a 10,000+ miles. Once you have the rear end housing take a look at surplus NASCAR center sections. I purchased a complete center section equipped with a Detroit Locker from Roush Racing for around $800 as I recall. If you are planning a trans swap why stop at a 5 speed, why not go with a 6 speed T56 Magnum? Just sayin!

Name:  camaro130112 001.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  169.4 KB

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

My car is not together yet but I bought a bare housing from Speedway Motors and it is fine. I welded all the brackets on myself and shopped around for bits and pieces to save a buck here and there.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com