Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 9" Rear End Jig

Country Flag: United States

9" Rear End Jig

Just wondering if anyone in San Diego, CA has a rear end jig that I can borrow or purchase. I'm getting ready to weld my axle brackets to my 9" and want to make sure the rear end housing stays straight. I may be willing to take it to a shop to weld if the price is right. I currently have the brackets tacked into place.

Thanks in advance.
      Robert Icasas

Projects:
      67 Cougar
      Art Morrison Sport IFS
      3-link Rear Suspension
      Coyote w/ D&D Performance Viper t56

Maybe a little too far for you to go, but Earl Williams at Williams Classic Chevy is top notch. He's located in La Verne, which is next door to Pomona.

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      Maybe a little too far for you to go, but Earl Williams at Williams Classic Chevy is top notch. He's located in La Verne, which is next door to Pomona.
      Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into Earl if I can't find anyone local.
      Robert Icasas

Projects:
      67 Cougar
      Art Morrison Sport IFS
      3-link Rear Suspension

The jig won''t hold the axle housing straight when welding the brackets on, it will only show how far off the alignment is when you are done welding.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      The jig won''t hold the axle housing straight when welding the brackets on, it will only show how far off the alignment is when you are done welding.
      How so Donny? Unless the alignment bar is installed after welding the brackets on. I've always installed everything prior to welding. At least that was the way I was taught.
      Robert Icasas

Projects:
      67 Cougar
      Art Morrison Sport IFS
      3-link Rear Suspension

The alignment bar isn't anywhere near strong enough to keep an axle tube from pulling out of alignment during welding. It's an alignment tool, not a fixture.

When welding brackets on to an existing housing, after tacking them in place, I check the alignment. If it's close, I weld away. If the brackets are 360* around the axle it usually doesn't move much as long as you weld all the way around in one pull.

If it's way off, we decide if the required weld is going to help or hurt us. From there we will straighten the housing or just cut the ends of and start from scratch with the alignment.

If the brackets are the less than 180* it will pull to that side and I usually correct that with more weld on the opposite side of the tube.

The bearing pucks will slide in and out of the housing ends without too much effort and still be misaligned.......they need to slide in with zero effort.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com