Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

I'm done, I'm done, I'm done, with Optima batteres

They suck any more, been through 3 in the last 4 years. They used to be great, I used them in everything. But if you don't drive it every day they seem to fail.

What are you using?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

I us a battery tender on it and I have had them last 5 years plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      They suck any more, been through 3 in the last 4 years. They used to be great, I used them in everything. But if you don't drive it every day they seem to fail.

What are you using?
      3 in 4 years - they have a 3 Year Warranty!

at Hot August Nights, I was next to the optima Rep - one thing he kept telling people was they needed a "Smart" Charger. Most Chargers are giving a battery a full shot (say 12 amps) when they might only need 4 amps.

I use a simple Interstate battery from costco.... $90 bucks,no hassle Warranty and starts every time (and I leave cars sitting months on end) . I got tired of all the expensive Battery failures to.
      Ahmad B.

I use Odyssey. A little expensive but they do fine when the car sits for long periods.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I use Odyssey. A little expensive but they do fine when the car sits for long periods.

Don
      They are a bit pricey, but the cost of an optima is steadily creeping up towards the cost of the Odyssey! Thinking I might try one out, I like that they are a true dry cell.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      They are a bit pricey, but the cost of an optima is steadily creeping up towards the cost of the Odyssey! Thinking I might try one out, I like that they are a true dry cell.
      I ran a small Odyssey in my 92 for years. Expensive but it worked if I started the car somewhat regularly. I imagine a full size one would perform much better than the half size one I used.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

Quote Originally Posted by Project92rs View Post
      I ran a small Odyssey in my 92 for years. Expensive but it worked if I started the car somewhat regularly. I imagine a full size one would perform much better than the half size one I used.
      That's the other thing I wonder. If by going to a smaller battery, I save $ and some weight. I need to do some figuring and try and guess what might work. I'll be relocating 2 batteries to the rears of cars soon... the 71 Firebird and the 82 Z.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by krom View Post
      If you're leaving your car sitting around when you have a AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) battery, which is what optima, Odyssey, XS Power etc. are. You NEED a smart charger / float charger / Battery Tender, whatever you feel like calling them that's made to handle AGM batteries not just a regular car charger like mentioned before.

The smart chargers do a good job at charging the batteries and also have a float mode when it reaches full charge that lowers voltage avoiding overcharging the battery. If you don't have a charger on a AGM battery the voltage can drop too low per cell, usually making them un-salvageable. optima has it's fancy new charger that says it can recover a heavily discharged AGM battery. The normal AGM smart chargers aren't huge money and just hook it up and leave it for as long as you need to...Easy insurance really.

If you're leaving your car for months at a time...get one!
      Last edited by Jerems; 09-29-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Removed wrong pricing info.

Or... Just don't leave your car sit for long periods of time. :D

I used the cheater method of charging to revive my red top over 6 years ago when it was too dead for a normal charger to charge it...and it's been going strong ever since.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

I have posted this before, I have saved "junk" red tops by hooking jumper cables from the optima to a regular battery and then charging.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I just bought a Braille battery for my big block. So far soo good.

I had an optima but a cell went bad within a year and it could not be revived. I now have a Sears Diehard and it is working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      I have posted this before, I have saved "junk" red tops by hooking jumper cables from the optima to a regular battery and then charging.
      I tried that with last one with no luck. I ordered the optima battery charger/tinder, maybe it will bring this one back.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

I use the Farm & Fleet branded batteries made by Johnson Controls.
      They're just the simple old style batteries that will last 7 years or more.
      No complaints here.
      1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

AC Delco in everything.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Quote Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
      I use the Farm & Fleet branded batteries made by Johnson Controls.
      They're just the simple old style batteries that will last 7 years or more.
      No complaints here.
      Optimas are made by Johnson Controls in Mexico

There are only a few battery companies that market Batteries under Hundreds of names

I also use Braille, B3121. Have for years now. It is about the size of my lawn tractor battery, and people always comment on that. So small that I won't bother putting it in the trunk. I use a Ctek charger, which works great.

The optima 400 battery charger showed up today at around 4pm, it is now 9:30pm & it says battery is at 75%. Should it take that long, or is battery toast?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com