Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Sway Bars: Splined or One-Piece

Pardon my ignorance but what are the advantages to using a splined sway bar over a hollow or solid one-piece unit?

Country Flag: United States
      Splined sway bar allows you to vary the rate very easily by using a different wall thickness tube for the main part of the bar.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Country Flag: Australia
      Splined bars also typically use multi drilled/threaded arms which allow you to tune the lever arm length and rate.

However, you can also get one piece bars which have multi hole ends so I guess that's a moot point. But I suspect the splined bar will be far more accurate in its advertised rate then a one piece multi bend noodle bar.

Thanks for the info,guys. Since my Elco is a pure streetcar, I think I'll just go with a solid 1.25" bar.

We sell a solid 1.250 bar and it's a nice medium-stiff solution for street and mild auto-x. Just a good all around bar.

Spline bars tend to have tuneability but at the expense of a larger initial cost and complexity.

ramey
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Lots of circle track cars use splined bars for the reasons described above.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
      We sell a solid 1.250 bar and it's a nice medium-stiff solution for street and mild auto-x. Just a good all around bar.

Spline bars tend to have tuneability but at the expense of a larger initial cost and complexity.

ramey
      Thanks,Ramey. That's exactly what I plan to do, buy one from you.

Splined bar ends are heavier, so in my mind, if you can get a fully tubular version in the wall thickness & adjustment holes you want, then go that way. It's less work to change a full tubular bar (for track tuning) than one with splined arms.

The splined arms want to "walk off" the ends of the sway bar tube if the arms "kick out" towards the wheels, and most of ours do. The best designs have a groove in the splined ends of the tube and the bolt on arm has a pinch bolt that travels through the groove to keep it from walking off.

If you change splined bar diameters to get a different rate, then the old arms won't fit anymore. So a splined bar arm only fits a limited range of wall thickness/diameters.

Splined bar ends are heavy steel, usually 5/8" thick. I've read tests where the aluminum arms deflect too much.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 09-02-2017 at 04:33 PM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Thanks for that explanation, David.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com