Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Issue with holley transmission crossmember

I purchased the complete holley ls swap kit for my 69 camaro. Everything fits well except for the tranny crossmember. I test fitted it before I put tranny in ,fit fine. Put tranny in raised tail shaft shifter fit in stock opening perfect ,then I tried to put crossmember in and it is hitting the small ear on the driver side of the tranny. Plenty of room on passenger side. Has anybody else run into this issue ? I'm thinking of just trimming the crossmember. Ideas? Thanks dave

What transmission?
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Oh sorry t56 magnum

Can you post a photo of the interference?

How are your body mounts, are they worn out or flat? If so you might gain some room by replacing them

https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

I will try to take some pictures today. My body mounts are brand new dse standard height. One other thing to note is that the transmission is slightly clocked upward on that side. The tranny was converted by rockland standard gear from a tr 6060 to a magnum out of a ctsv . I am wondering if the bellhousing is deliberately designed that way and the aftermarket t56 is not.

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
      I will try to take some pictures today. My body mounts are brand new dse standard height. One other thing to note is that the transmission is slightly clocked upward on that side. The tranny was converted by rockland standard gear from a tr 6060 to a magnum out of a ctsv . I am wondering if the bellhousing is deliberately designed that way and the aftermarket t56 is not.
      A TR6060 bellhousing is different than the standard GM T56 bellhousing, so there may by an overall length difference between your converted trans and a production T56 Magnum. The shifter housing on the T56 Magnum is intentionally clocked over to the driver side of the car whereas the 4th gen F-body T56 shifter housing is clocked straight up/down at 0 degrees. Some photos will be needed to figure it out for you.

I've done some additional investigation for you and have confirmed that the TR6060 input shaft is longer than the T56 input shaft, which lends further evidence to my comment of the overall transmission length being longer than that of the 4th-gen F-body T56/production aftermarket T56 Magnum transmissions. Since the Hooker transmission crossmember was designed specifically for the F-body T56 and production T56 Magnum transmissions only, you will have to more than likely need to modify something provide compatibility with your custom configured transmission assembly.

Toddoky, I figured as much. I can modify or fab up a crossmember, the only thing that concerns me is the driveline angle. Do you remember what the angle needs to be set at ? Or is there another companies crossmember i could use? Thank you for all your help. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
      Toddoky, I figured as much. I can modify or fab up a crossmember, the only thing that concerns me is the driveline angle. Do you remember what the angle needs to be set at ? Or is there another companies crossmember i could use? Thank you for all your help. Dave
      If you are referring to the engine inclination angle, it is critical only in how it affects the U-joint operating angles of your car following the completed swap.

In order to calculate the operating angles of your U-joints, you need to have your driveshaft installed and your car sitting at its intended ride height. Once that is done, you need to measure the trans output shaft angle and the driveshaft angle to be able to calculate the front U-joint operating angle and then measure the pinion angle and use it with the driveshaft angle to calculate the rear U-joint angle.

If you can post some photos of your transmission and tell me the distance from the bellhousing to the transmission mount I can give you some more complete advice. There is a possibility that the Hooker 4L80 crossmember might work for you depending on what your mount distance is.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      I've done some additional investigation for you and have confirmed that the TR6060 input shaft is longer than the T56 input shaft, which lends further evidence to my comment of the overall transmission length being longer than that of the 4th-gen F-body T56/production aftermarket T56 Magnum transmissions. Since the Hooker transmission crossmember was designed specifically for the F-body T56 and production T56 Magnum transmissions only, you will have to more than likely need to modify something provide compatibility with your custom configured transmission assembly.
      The T56 Magnum is not a TR6060....Whether he is using a T56 Magnum or a OEM LS T56, the bell housing would be the same thus the location would be the same. The problem is people assume since there is a "kit" its a direct bolt on. The tunnels in the F-body need to be massaged and even cut to get the trans to fit. Holley even has a exhaust kit for the Detroit Speed Quadra link...Yup... you have to cut the floor for it to fit!
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      If you are referring to the engine inclination angle, it is critical only in how it affects the U-joint operating angles of your car following the completed swap.

In order to calculate the operating angles of your U-joints, you need to have your driveshaft installed and your car sitting at its intended ride height. Once that is done, you need to measure the trans output shaft angle and the driveshaft angle to be able to calculate the front U-joint operating angle and then measure the pinion angle and use it with the driveshaft angle to calculate the rear U-joint angle.

If you can post some photos of your transmission and tell me the distance from the bellhousing to the transmission mount I can give you some more complete advice. There is a possibility that the Hooker 4L80 crossmember might work for you depending on what your mount distance is.
      Soon as i.get a chance to sneak out to the garage I will get that info.

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      The T56 Magnum is not a TR6060....Whether he is using a T56 Magnum or a OEM LS T56, the bell housing would be the same thus the location would be the same. The problem is people assume since there is a "kit" its a direct bolt on. The tunnels in the F-body need to be massaged and even cut to get the trans to fit. Holley even has a exhaust kit for the Detroit Speed Quadra link...Yup... you have to cut the floor for it to fit!
      I'm very familiar with the similarities between the 4th-gen F-body T56 and the T56 Magnum, the TR6060 is the only one I don't work with during the development of Hooker swap systems. You actually don't have to cut or massage the floor at all to install a 4th-gen T56 or T56 Magnum in a 1st-gen F-body when using the Hooker system, with the exception of enlarging the shifter hole for the 4th-gen shifter.

.^^ I don't buy it. Do you keep the tail shaft down pretty far?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

No, the clearance comes as a result of the low installed engine height and specific fore/aft positioning provided by the Hooker 1st-gen engine mounting brackets. This also requires the use of the Holley 302-2 oil pan, which is only 1.25" tall along its front end. There are plenty of users of the Hooker 1st-gen swap components that can provide the same testament to fitment. Lots of them are over on ls1tech.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com