Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS3 flywheel weight

I'm looking at a monster stage 2 clutch kit for my LS3 525 T56. I'm trying to decide which weight flywheel would be best for me, their billet steel 18 or 28 lb? I understand the pros and cons of each, just not sure which would be better for me. I'm putting it in a 1955 Chevy 99% street car. I'm guessing that the car will weigh 3750 lbs and it has a .226/.236 cam. Even though it's a street car and I want daily driver reliability, I also don't want to leave anything on the table.

Country Flag: United States
      Which rear gear ratio will you be using? With the amount of HP your LS engine will be making you shouldn't have any trouble getting the car moving with either flywheel. The heavier unit will be more street friendly and require less clutch slippage on take off. Normally if you are using anything (numerically) lower than a 3.73 ratio I would recommend the heavier of the two, if you are (numerically) higher than the 3.73 you should be good to go either way. My personal preference for a street car would be the heavier one just to have the added inertia for lots of stop and go traffic.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

I'm running 3.70's

I'm ready to order a clutch and flywheel now. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a Monster stage 2. I'm still undecided if I want to use the 18 or 28 lb flywheel. Like I mentioned before I understand the pro and cons of flywheel weight, I'm just unsure which is best for my combo. Thanks for any advise.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com