Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wiring 2 sources (engine and AC) to one cooling fan

I'm trying to wire the AC to the engine cooling fan. Power from the engine is coming from ECM. It is fused and relayed. The power for the AC is coming from a relay grounded by a trinary switch. Here is a diagram of what I have going on. Can I just plug both wires into the fan or is that bad? If one system is powered and the electricity will flow back to the other system and that one also turns on will it do something crazy? I basically want to know if I can take the "?" from my diagram and connect it to the purple. Thank you!

Country Flag: United States
      Run the 12 volt power from the ECM you have shown to the 87A leg on the A/C relay.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Quote Originally Posted by sccacuda View Post
      Run the 12 volt power from the ECM you have shown to the 87A leg on the A/C relay.
      Not as his connections indicate...

30 to the fan 87a power from ECM relay and 87 to +12 volt See below-

Name:  trinary.jpg
Views: 2784
Size:  19.5 KB

If you connect the red from the ECM relay to the purple supplying power to the fan the two relays will be in parallel and if you lose the AC relay the fan will still operate under ECM control. A lit bit of redundancy for slightly improved reliability.

I've done it this way and it works fine.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
      Not as his connections indicate...

30 to the fan 87a power from ECM relay and 87 to +12 volt See below-

Name:  trinary.jpg
Views: 2784
Size:  19.5 KB
      I didn't even think about flipping the relay around. That is really smart! I'm not sure if the relays have diodes or something in them that only allow electrical flow in one direction but if not that would work great. Don is right about the peace of mind in the redundancy so I'll put the ECM relay directly to the fan as well. Good thinking outside the box though! I'm kinda mad I didn't think of that when I was trying to figure out ways to wire it.

Is your ecm sending 12v or is it sending ground?
      Rick - 1969 Camaro - LS1 driven daily

Quote Originally Posted by kabinet View Post
      I didn't even think about flipping the relay around. That is really smart! I'm not sure if the relays have diodes or something in them that only allow electrical flow in one direction but if not that would work great. Don is right about the peace of mind in the redundancy so I'll put the ECM relay directly to the fan as well. Good thinking outside the box though! I'm kinda mad I didn't think of that when I was trying to figure out ways to wire it.
      THANKS- as a kid- instead of putting the square peg in the round hole- I found it was a lot easier to cut the square peg in ½ and put it in the triangle...

Most relays don't have diodes-and if they do- it's usually to minimize voltage spikes and have better control of the relay.

Don's way will work- not knowing which ECU and length of wires...could change things... If you really want a redundant back up- look below. Adds another relay- BUT will also help the life of the ECM relay- as less current will flow though it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmc View Post
      Is your ecm sending 12v or is it sending ground?
      Hopefully a +12volt RELAYED output- if it was a positive OR negative trigger you would NOT want to wire it like I posted- UNLESS you like smoke...

Redundant fan wiring-

Name:  redundant.jpg
Views: 2783
Size:  17.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
      null
      Yes a 12 v relayed output but what is the trigger the ecm is sending, ground or positive? I mention this because the ecm is never identified and my LS1 ecm sends a ground trigger to activate the fans so wiring the trigger to the relay is going to be different depending on what the trigger is.

In your original diagram 86 is a ground triggered by the trinary switch. I connected my ecm trigger wire here as mine gives off a ground not a positive. I also connected a switch to ground for manual override too. All three just went to 86.

However, if it is a 12v trigger then go with the above diagrams.

I just wanted to make sure you verified what the ecm sends to trigger the ac

Rick
      Rick - 1969 Camaro - LS1 driven daily

All modern EFI PCMs use ground trigger outputs to trigger relays. Too much hassle to route power through an ECM board.

"...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com