Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Aluminum mount corrorsion issues

I need an electrical guru to help me understand the chemical reaction happening here. This aluminum bracket has corroded in less than a week and with the power cut most of the time using the remote battery shutoff solenoid that is mounted to this very bracket. The other solenoid is a high amp alternator shutdown. Both made by Painless Performance.

I did have to put a 300 amp charger/starter on it for a little while last week when I was working out the ignition issues but I don't know if that affected this in any way. Regardless, I need to get it figured out sooner than later! I'm going to isolate the aluminum from the steel below but am not sure that would cause this much corrosion in such a short period of time.

I need an electrical expert to chime in on this! Is this simply because I didn't isolate the aluminum from the steel frame?

Country Flag: United States
      Are you using the aluminum bracket to ground your solenoids? There has to be a current of some kind running thru the bracket for it corrode that quickly. Isolate the bracket from all electrical sources.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Not using it for any grounds. That's why its confusing. I'm thinking the remote power cutoff solenoid which activates with a switch to ground may be the culprit.

you sure none of those relays ground through their mounting bracket? If they are switched by applying power, then they must ground through their mount

Quote Originally Posted by krom View Post
      you sure none of those relays ground through their mounting bracket? If they are switched by applying power, then they must ground through their mount
      ^^^^This....I am quite certain all of those big Ford style relays ground through the built in mounts.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

My guess........Looks to me like you boiled the battery charging it (Odysseys require certain charging techniques) and the ( heavier than air) gas emitted caused aluminum sulfate. The gas being more concentrated in the corner areas where it didn't dissipate as quickly as more open areas. Notice the distinct line about an inch high where the corrosion stops on the vertical bracket in the corner. That would be how high the layer of concentrated gas was in the corner where it didn't dissipate as quickly. The aluminum being used as a ground path may have sped up the corrosion process which is why it looks worse than the base of the battery "box" since the battery tray isn't an electrical path.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com