Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Clutch Bleeder Leaking

Attempting to bleed my clutch with a Phoenix Systems reverse bleeder.

When I crack open the bleeder valve enough for fluid to come out the end of the valve, it also leaks from the back of the fitting, where I have it circled. In the past I've always gravity bled and pumped the pedal to bleed the clutch, and never got a good feel. Just now noticed the fitting leaking like this, not sure if it's new or has been happening for a while, which would explain my inability to get a good pedal.

Can I replace just the fitting, or is the whole bleeder hose junk? (which would likely require removing the trans to gain access)
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Removed the bleeder fitting, cleaned it, cleaned the female NTP with a q-tip, used a little ARP thread sealer on the fitting and reassembled. Same thing. Even with the bleeder just cracked open a hair it leaks out the back of the fitting (red circle) with any pressure from the bleeder. I'm done for tonight but still open to suggestions. I will contact Phoenix Systems as well.

I suppose removing the current bleeder fitting, and replacing with an extension would work. The fitting doesn't leak (or does it..?) when tight, so adding a 12" extension and bleeding at the new location could work and be easier since the bleeder would no longer be directly above my headers.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtm-710105/overview/

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Nick,

If you look carefully, the threads on the female bleeder receptacle are not NPT, but are straight threads. Also, if you look inside, I bet you will see an inverted cone where a proper bleeder should seal against. I am guessing the female side is 3/8x24...GO to the parts store and get a 3/8x24 bleeder that is long enough to seal against the cone in the fitting.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks Andrew - you're right, the female threads are straight with a cone seat at the back, not sure why I was thinking NPT. Probably because I saw a few suggestions to use thread sealer, which makes my mind think NPT.

The bleeder itself does bottom out in the female fitting, when tightened down there are no leaks. Crack it open a 1/4 turn and it leaks from the end of the bleeder as it should, AND from the back of the female fitting where I have the red circle.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Can you post a picture without the rubber hose?
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Here you go. Depending on size of the bleeder fitting I have, one of these may solve my problem and allow easier bleeding. Mine does measure in at 0.375

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hmi-tpsblc6 or https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hmi-tpsbl5g

Name:  IMG_6370.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  171.4 KBName:  IMG_6373.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  175.1 KBName:  IMG_6378.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  105.5 KB

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Before tearing the trans off to replace the bleeder, I would try bleeding with the 2 person method. This way the leaking fitting will not matter.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I think what you are experiencing is normal. I think the nut that the bleeder screws into is designed to rotate freely on the hose and will not seal unless the bleeder is tightened against the seat which is part of the fitting on the end of the hose.

Your reverse bleeder will probably work if you can live with the leakage or it has an adapter that seals the same way the bleeder screw does. Or as Andrew said, bleed with the 2 person method.
      67 Camaro, 96 LT1, 4L60E

Thanks guys. Guess I am just used to bleeding at a caliper which doesn't have a fitting like this that leaks from the threads.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

If its leaking where you circled, the hose is bad. You might be able to cut it and install a new hose end. However the hole in the bell housing looks large enough you don't even need a remote bleeder. If you want it, looks like plenty of room to swap it out.

Wait a minute....That doesn't even have the correct end on it....that's a AN end and you need a tapered end for a brake fitting. Where did you get that?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

This was my solution. I put a -3 male/male coupler on the original bleeder line, then a 12" length of -3 braided hose, with a fixed (non-swivel) fitting on the end. This did two things...
      1) the bleeder fitting is no longer directly above the headers, and easy to get at.
      2) since the bleeder itself is now in a fixed fitting, there is not rotating portion to leak like the original.

I was able to use the reverse bleeder and it didn't leak anywhere. However, the pedal still was mushy. I put a speed bleeder on there, bled it with the pedal by myself, and it feels better than it ever has.

Name:  IMG_6405.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  334.2 KB

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com