Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

What size Manual Master cylinder for SRT8 calipers

Ok so I did post this in my build but am hoping to get a reply here as well.

Trying to sort out the hydraulics of my brake setup. I am limited on funds so hydroboost might not be able to happen yet. If I am running 4 piston SRT8 brembo with 14" rotors. What size master cylinder should I be looking at for manual brakes. (I'm worried the wildwood 7/8 manual master won't have the displacement needed for the calipers) any experience or knowledge is welcome.

I have not bough any master yet, only have the factory drum steel original 50 year old POS in the garage right now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      1968 Plymouth Satellite build https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ICAN-CHALLENGE
      One year and only $7000

Country Flag: United States
      Front SRT8 Calipers have four 44mm diameter pistons and have a piston area of 4.71 square inches per caliper. Rear SRT8 Calipers have a two 28mm and two 32mm diameter pistons and have a piston area of 2.2 square inches per caliper. With this total piston area, you can go with a 7/8" bore master cylinder as it will handle the volume that these calipers require. The pedal stroke will be longer, but less leg effort will be needed to stop the car. Some others may suggest larger bore master cylinder in the 24mm or 15/16" bore range because of the 14" diameter rotor will offset some of the caliper clamping forces you will loose going up in bore size of the master cylinder. You will have a shorter pedal stroke with the larger bore master cylinder, but it will require more leg effort than a smaller bore master cylinder.Your pad choice will play a major role in how your brakes feel. Depending on the use of your car, a "colder" pad that does not need a substantial amount of heat to work well will be best for cruising, daily driving, and drag strip.

David Schultz
      MalibuDave
      www.manualbrakes.com

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by malibudave View Post
      Front SRT8 Calipers have four 44mm diameter pistons and have a piston area of 4.71 square inches per caliper. Rear SRT8 Calipers have a two 28mm and two 32mm diameter pistons and have a piston area of 2.2 square inches per caliper. With this total piston area, you can go with a 7/8" bore master cylinder as it will handle the volume that these calipers require. The pedal stroke will be longer, but less leg effort will be needed to stop the car. Some others may suggest larger bore master cylinder in the 24mm or 15/16" bore range because of the 14" diameter rotor will offset some of the caliper clamping forces you will loose going up in bore size of the master cylinder. You will have a shorter pedal stroke with the larger bore master cylinder, but it will require more leg effort than a smaller bore master cylinder.Your pad choice will play a major role in how your brakes feel. Depending on the use of your car, a "colder" pad that does not need a substantial amount of heat to work well will be best for cruising, daily driving, and drag strip.
      Amazing help! Thank you very much. My primary event for this car will be cruising and autocross, the odd ice autocross.... one day it might see some track or possibly even a drift event (never done one but might try). I Come from the world of RX-7's and miata's so the car will see similar use (less competitive but more fun I'm hoping).

I guess i have to figure out if less pedal travel or less effort is more important... I am leaning towards pedal travel a bit, any experience for this kind of stuff on these old cars?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      1968 Plymouth Satellite build https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ICAN-CHALLENGE
      One year and only $7000

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com