Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Show me your Accusump installation!

About to mount a 2 qt accusump into my Firebird. Figure it will be good insurance for my Pontiac 428 on the road course.

Where's your preferred mounting location?

Post pictures please :-)

Anyone mounted it in the backseat? To keep the added weight to the back... tradeoff is routing oil to the interior (obviously would need proper bulkhead feedthrough firewall)... bad idea? Safer to keep it outside cockpit I suppose--how much safer?

I also started a thread about a proposed custom cut-on switch for the solenoid valve here:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-cut-on-switch
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

jtwoods4 made a nice video a while back.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...light=accusump

I like the trunk idea, for weight distribution. That or under the backseat bottom which will be lower, but not quite as far back. But both of these options are better than in the engine compartment.

What about the length of the line? Any delay if its way back in the trunk?
      -Mitch
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers

"What about the length of the line? Any delay if its way back in the trunk?"

Was thinking more about it and have the below thoughts. Feel free to chime in anyone :-)

The end of jtwoods4 video answered my question. Jtwoods correctly points out that since liquid (oil in this case) is incompressible, the reaction would be quick.

However, there will still be a pressure drop when it starts flowing. The longer the line will incur more pressure loss... The question is how much. Most likely not a major concern, because it will still provide life saving oil pressure. But I am curious. I suppose i could try it with it near and far from the engine and quantify the pressure drop.
      -Mitch

I run a 3 quart in a road race Mustang. It's mounted in the rear just in front of the spare tire well. 10 AN line runs underneath the car. When the oil is warm it will empty itself in 5 seconds or less. Because the unit maintains the same pressure as the engine it's constantly discharging and filling hence the line is always full. I run the electrical switch so it only discharges at 25 psi and under.
      1986 Saleen, Aluminum block 408W, T56, Full Griggs Racing supension

Quote Originally Posted by Curt C View Post
      I run a 3 quart in a road race Mustang. It's mounted in the rear just in front of the spare tire well. 12 AN line runs underneath the car. When the oil is warm it will empty itself in 5 seconds or less. Because the unit maintains the same pressure as the engine it's constantly discharging and filling hence the line is always full. I run the electrical switch so it only discharges at 25 psi and under.
      Thanks for the info!
      -Mitch

Correction: Accusump line is 10 AN. Oil cooler and remote filter is 12 AN

Still waiting on someone to share a pic of their Accusump installation.

Here a pic of the vicinity I think I'll install mine.

-Mitch

Send me a PM with your email and Ill send you a pic. I have not figured out another hosting site since Photobucket puked. Edit: I went ahead and signed up with Smugmug for the free 14 day trial. Pics attached. I also included a picture of how the Accusump ties into the engine oiling system at the top of the remote oil filter. One can easily use a collar between the filter and block too.

Name:  IMG_2011-S.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  39.4 KB
      Name:  IMG_2010-S.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  21.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_2012-S.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  35.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_2009-S.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  24.9 KB
      Name:  IMG_2007-M.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  51.0 KB
      Last edited by Curt C; 08-11-2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Picture Hosting

Thanks for sending me the pics and for posting them here!

I think it's useful to show your engine compartment pic to understand the placement in the engine compartment. Would you mind adding it? It looks good too.

I also have some questions about your engine compartment. What are the three aluminum looking cans on the right? What about the square can on the left? Are you running a crankcase vac pump?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm also adding a crankcase vac to my engine. Making a custom bracket that also relocates alternator down low, too.

In considering the cost of accusump and evac pump and components, I looked into a dry sump to compare--b/c a dry sump would negate the need for both of these items. Found it would have been more costly by an extra $500-1k at least, without a readily available oil pan for my engine--the decision was easy.

Pics below shows the bracket mods and where I'm considering putting the oil spit can for the evac pump.

-Mitch

Thank you. No evacuation pump. The two breather cans on the right are my valve cover breathers / PCV system. Air enters the first breather (or vents to atmosphere) through the first unit and ties into the passenger side valve cover via 12 AN line. The second one has a PCV plumbed into the top and draws from the driver’s side valve cover. PC valves are good and keep things somewhat clean. This set up makes it really hard to suck oil into the engine via the PCV or spew oil out the breather given the road race nature of the car. The 3rd can with the decal KRC is the remote power steering reservoir. The power steering pump is right to the left of it. Lastly the square Canton can on the right serves as the radiator overflow catch can. The Accusump has been called the poor man’s dry sump system. Mine has served me well and you are right – dry sump systems are usually really pricey. I added some more pics of the car here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...03#post1238703

Name:  IMG_2013-M.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  76.9 KB

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Quote Originally Posted by Curt C View Post
      I run a 3 quart in a road race Mustang. It's mounted in the rear just in front of the spare tire well. 10 AN line runs underneath the car. When the oil is warm it will empty itself in 5 seconds or less. Because the unit maintains the same pressure as the engine it's constantly discharging and filling hence the line is always full. I run the electrical switch so it only discharges at 25 psi and under.
      I run an accusump with a mechanical globe valve.Always been afraid of the electric valves since when they were first Canton would not provide information on flow rate. Anyway, it appears the is no longer a factor.

Question on how you plumbed your 25psi switch- if it only opens the valve at 25m psi, how do you recharge when oil pressure goes back to normal?
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyover View Post
      I run an accusump with a mechanical globe valve.Always been afraid of the electric valves since when they were first Canton would not provide information on flow rate. Anyway, it appears the is no longer a factor.

Question on how you plumbed your 25psi switch- if it only opens the valve at 25m psi, how do you recharge when oil pressure goes back to normal?
      If I understand how the valve works, the quick answer is that the solenoid valve acts as a one way valve. When closed, it still allows oil from the engine side to flow into the accusump until pressure is equalized. Which should mean that when racing, the accusump will retain the peak oil pressure.

From Accusump:
      "For those looking for the convenience of an electric valve and the fast refill rate required in racing applications our (electric pressure control) E.P.C. electric valves are recommended. The pressure control system keeps the electric valve in the off position during times of normal oil pressure. With the valve in the off position it is able to quickly recharge the Accusump with oil pressure after discharge, thus being ready for the next oil surge. When the engine's oil pressure drops below the EPC Valve's preset level the valve opens and releases the stored oil in to the system. Like our standard electric valve the EPC valve can be wired to a remote dash-mounted switch or can be wired directly into the ignition so it will turn on and off automatically when the ignition is in the 'on' or the 'off' position."
      -Mitch

I did a little investigating today to see if the solenoid valve actually is a one way valve or not.

Skip to video part 2 to see the pressure test.

Part 1. Intro and NPT install.

Part 2. Pressure test and evac pump discussion.

Part 3. Activation of solenoid valve with 12v and further discussion on the benefits of the EPC valve.
      -Mitch

It allows oil in at any pressure even when off and will hold the max pressure seen by the engine (50-70 psi in my case). It disgorges at 25psi and below.

I like the alternator/pump bracket!
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
      I like the alternator/pump bracket!
      Thanks!

I modified it one more time.

Modified the alt/evac pump bracket a little bit more--evac pump needed to move slightly closer to engine, and I added a speed hole to save weight. Also modified the evac pump adjuster bracket--beefed it up and smoothed it out.

Got the 10 AN lines run for the Accusump and evac pump. Added a 1/2 NPT weld bung to the valve cover--and moved the internal baffle to provide cover for the weld bung--is the location evac pump will suck from.

And got the new powersteering pulley in (from CPP, part# CP38810). It's deeper than the original--so it allows me swap the positions with the alternator belt on the crank and water pump pulley--moving the alternator over to the passenger side, it needed to use the further forward belt groove because that head is further forward. It's deeper than I need actually, so I still need to space the powersteering pump 1/4 inch further from the head.

For the Accusump, I ran the 10 AN line through the firewall with a bulkhead elbow. The elbow points down towards the oil filter sandwich adapter. A 90 deg hose end comes off the sandwich adapter to a short section of 10AN line, then to a straight hose end that plugs into the bulkhead elbow. I put heat insulation over that section--it gets within ~2 inches from the headers, which should be enough if both are insulated--still have a little more header wrap to add. Inside the car, a 90 deg hose end comes off firewall and the hose runs to another 90deg hose end that plugs into the accusump solenoid valve.

-Mitch

Looks like a good setup!
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com