Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Accusump custom cut-on switch

I recently bought the 2 qt Accusump for my Firebird. Also bought the solenoid valve kit. Haven't bought the EPC sensor yet because I'm planning to rebuild the engine first, and won't be able to choose which one I need until after that.

In looking into how it works, it got me to thinking that with some additional customization, the system could be optimized even better than the standard install.

Anyone familiar with the Accusump system for the purposes of providing a safety reservoir of oil pressure for the track, know's that Canton recommends the EPC valve and solenoid combo kit for this. That's a good place to start. To summarize: the solenoid valve opens when the ignition is turned on so the accusump can pre-oil the engine prior to starting. The EPC valve will keep the solenoid valve closed when it senses oil pressure above a minimum value, say 25, 40 or 60 psi, depending on the valve. Valve choice depends on your idle. If your idle oil pressure is 30 psi say, then you choose the 25 psi valve.

This is potentially limiting the stored pressure in the accusump to 25 psi, when in most racing conditions you'll be well above that. If say you're out on the track and take a few turns slow and get back on it hard, it will take some time for the accusump to get pumped back up to normal racing levels.

The main thing here is to send a signal to the solenoid to tell it when your abusing your engine on the track and when you aren't.

I called Accusump and they said that they know of tuners sending custom signals to the solenoid valve for this reason.

My first thought is to send a high low signal at a particular RPM threshold. Like say above 3000 rpm. Signal would go high (12v) above 3000rpm and go low (0V) below. This would be in addition to still needing the ignition to be ON and the oil pressure to drop for the solenoid valve to open. EPC valve could be kept in place but get the 40 psi or 60 psi version regardless of what your idle oil pressure is, so a at least that min pressure is maintained.

The logic would be (pick 40 psi EPC for this example):

If, ignition is on, rpm above 3k, oil pressure below 40 psi, solenoid valve turns on.

Alternatively, if you know that your oil pressure is pretty high above 3k rpm would you even need an EPC valve?
      In this case oil press would bounce from 50-80 psi say as you're on the track, and therefore so would the accusump (in a delayed reaction).
      This would simplify the logic, but, wouldn't keep the accusump at peak pressure. If I understand it correctly with EPC in place, the accusump will store the highest attained oil pressure, until solenoid valve is opened to release it. So therefore having the EPC in place would ensure max stored oil pressure in accusump and would therefore be better, than just letting the solenoid valve stay open when rpm above 3k.

Thinking further, the RPM trigger seems like a good option. One could set the RPM at whatever oil pressure corresponds to the EPC valve chosen. Next step is figuring a way to send a high/low signal at configurable RPM threshold. Any ideas?

Anyone done anything like this? Any ideas on what's the best way to trigger the valve so it keeps peak pressure and only opens in a cavitation event? Any other thoughts?

I also started a thread requesting where others have installed theirs and requesting pics. Please pipe in if you have an accusump!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...p-installation!

-Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

Country Flag: United States
      I use a "Hobbs" adjustable pressure switch to complete a ground path for either EPC soleniod for the Canton setup or the hobbs switch with a simple 12v solenoid on the other car. Each are wired to allow prelubing the engine prior to engine start and to allow to function during engine running events. Other than packaging all the lines, fitting for solenoid works great. While I see your point in using a electronic means to provide a signal, what if you don't run soft/hardware that provides a means to generate a signal, i.e. carbed engine only. Just one way to support the function without more expensive means to generate a signal. Also use the pressure switches to complete ground paths for other purposes as they related to either pressure or lack of. You can goggle the hobbs switch, stewart warner makes them, hobbs was a trademark name prior.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com