Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Inherited 1970 Pontiac GTO project

So.. hello everyone! I'm here for guidance so I can't wait to hear everyones input!!
      My grandfather bought a GTO in 70'… then my dad bought it off him when he turned 18 to take my mom to prom in!
      So as life goes… fast forward to 2017, my dad just had a heart attack and passed away about 3 months ago and this beast is
      going into my name. He hasn't driven it or even turned it on in probably 10 years… but my short term goal is to get it running and maybe
      do a few car shows in the fall with it, and since i do custom metal etching, a sign telling his story and the life thus far of this badass muscle car.

I have a friend of his who's a mechanic that's mentioned he could help but i'm sure there are things I can get started on, just me and a wrench.
      I've been working on supped up mini coopers for about 5 years so i'm excited about restoring some american muscle!

I'll post pics later tonight of where its at but it's in great shape…. and only 42k miles. Garage kept all its life… etc. Just needs all new rubber i'm betting? haha
      So what would be the first steps? siphon gas and get a new tank or just siphon and fuel lines first? Pleaseeeeee help!
      Also looking OF COURSE to go with a MUCH larger wheel and tire / suspension for this beast. ;)

Country Flag: United States
      You might want to check out performance years/Ames forums. Very active Pontiac specific forums...most folks are pretty helpful.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father...

Post some pictures!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Sorry to hear about the loss of your father...

Post some pictures!

Andrew
      Sorry for your loss. and welcome.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Name:  IMG_5970.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  172.2 KBName:  IMG_5969.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  156.9 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't some giant Budnik wheels looks great on her?

Aw this on the py forum as well. How big are you going to go on the wheels? I like these cars with 17"-18" wheels on them. I have 17"s on my 70 GTO and was able to run 275's all the way around

Just keep it Pontiac powered love the LS motor great performance but has no business in a all original 70 gto. Look up Butler performance or Kauffman performance ..

Or he can do what he wants with his car.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Turkey
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Or he can do what he wants with his car.

Andrew
      That!
      Being handsome is only skin deep. But Badass goes to the bone.
      Mert Celet

Hahaha. So for size... I was thinking even bigger in the back? Love the slammed pro touring look, just need to figure out how big I can go once suspension is decided on yah know? Anything I take off will get kept but first step is just getting it running and moved over to my new house where I can do more extensive work. But I need to atleast make it safe to drive 15 miles for now. haha. It has the original Pontiac 400 in it.... I come from a 5 year extensive project on a super charged mini cooper and it makes me laugh maniacally of a supercharger on the goat. lol.
      Bigger wheels means bigger breaks and that's also on the list and looking for recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiTHEgoat View Post
      Hahaha. So for size... I was thinking even bigger in the back? Love the slammed pro touring look, just need to figure out how big I can go once suspension is decided on yah know? Anything I take off will get kept but first step is just getting it running and moved over to my new house where I can do more extensive work. But I need to atleast make it safe to drive 15 miles for now. haha. It has the original Pontiac 400 in it.... I come from a 5 year extensive project on a super charged mini cooper and it makes me laugh maniacally of a supercharger on the goat. lol.
      Bigger wheels means bigger breaks and that's also on the list and looking for recommendations.
      These old cars need a slightly taller tire to fill out the wheel wells. I used to run Falken 295/40-18s in the rear (about 27" tall) without any rubbing however my outer fender lip is slightly rolled under (about 1/2" extra room). I run 18x10.5 wheels with 6.25" of backspacing.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

For brakes I highly recommend the Kore3 Corvette brake swaps. Tobin is super to deal with and the fact that you can go to Oreilly's for parts if something breaks or wears out is a nice bonus.
      About to make poor choices and regrettable decisions

For front suspension I like the Speed Tech AFX spindle hands down, corrects geometry, light weight aluminum, modern Vette sealed bearings and factory Vette brakes bolt right up with no adapters. There is a new set for sale in the classified for $1000.00. As far a A-Arms there are a lot of great choices, i have SPC and like that you don't have to use shims for alignment. Your GTO looks awesome and the fact that the body is so nice you will save a ton not having to do paint and body work. Good luck!

This should be a cool build.

Michael

That is a clean starting point, I'm sure it will be great!

Nice GTO! Sorry about the loss of your father.
      Here is a good write up of another option that is fairly common. It was my econo plan until I went with the new chassis.
      Swapping the spindles for a set of taller B-body spindles improves handling and allows you to run the 12" brakes that they came with.

http://www.einstyn.com/einstyn-hardtop-05.htm

SC+C are great too, give them a call.

http://scandc.com/new/node/57
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

B body spindles cause other problems, like bump steer and reduced turning radius.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Hi Andrew,
      Yeah the B-body spindles don't get rid of the bump steer that A-bodies started with.
      On turning radius, I think if you accommodate the slightly wider track width by choosing the proper backspacing on your rims it would be similar.
      Just another option if you dont feel comfortable spending big bucks for your front end upgrade.
      Here is a great write up on spindle swaps done last year.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cha...-need-to-know/
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com