Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Looking great! As everyone else already said, the wheels look perfect.

Any more info on what you had to modify for the upper link?
      1961 Ford Galaxie Starliner - Turbo LS in the works
      1963-1/2 Mercury Comet Hardtop - 289 / TKO
      1972 GMC 3/4 Ton Suburban / 4speed/ 4x4 - Family Truck...
      1979 Pontiac Trans Am 400/4 Speed
      1994 Ford Mustang 302 / 3550 / 70mm Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      Great progress so far--there's nothing quite like the first trip down the road (or driveway) in something you put together yourself. It's a reliable thrill.

Don't feel bad about the temp gauge setup; it's leagues nicer than mine, and I've still got to fit boost and wideband gauges in the near future. Functionality is so underrated . . .

Attachment 149797
      Haha Thanks, It sure does feel pretty crazy when everything you've been working on actually works! You must be tall because it looks like you're sitting in the back seat! Also your oem firewall is gone! badass.

Quote Originally Posted by 79bird View Post
      Looking great! As everyone else already said, the wheels look perfect.

Any more info on what you had to modify for the upper link?
      Thanks! I ended up using the upper link from the kit as well as the upper link mount. Except the entire upper link mount had to be smashed in pretty good and the front of the mount where it bolts to the trans tunnel was at the complete wrong angle. So i cut it off and welded my own cross bar on to it. I later made a tub to cover where the link will travel because it would surely hit if I didnt. I made the tub round too match the wheel tubs, a little different but I think it looks pretty cool. I also had to make a notch in order to be able to access the front bolt that holds the upper link in

Cool! Thanks for the heads up, I ordered the 3 link last week.

The next job might be opening up that tunnel for driveshaft clearance. I remember too well the sound of that thing smacking up over a hard bump--watch for balance weights. Low ride height also made my old Maier Panhard bar frame hit the ground on really good bumps . . .

The Falcon sheetmetal provides so many opportunities for creative avoidance of restrictions . . .

How much of it did you have to to open up? I think the lowest point of all my suspension is going to be the watts link mount which I hope wont hit. I really need to cycle the suspension with the springs out.

Some pretty big news! I pulled the trigger on a holley sniper efi system because I was tired of dealing with the tuning issues of the carb and the distrbutor. I ordered the kit from summit received it in two days and basically had the entire thing installed in 4 hours. Went to fire it up and it wouldnt start. Tried changing a bunch of settings thinking I had my timing settings wrong and then finally checked the fuel system where I didnt have any fuel pressure, I assumed it was fine considering I had a brand new fuel pump. Turns out the fuel pump was bad the whole time. It would turnover and make noise but something internal wasnt actually making any pressure. Anyway got a new one sent over form summit, reprogrammed the ecu pressed the start button and it immediately fired up. I waited for the motor to heat up and I took it for a little drive. It started tuning and grew super responsive. After about 10 miles of driving it seemed to be really really good. All the numbers look great and the car runs awesome. As for the 10 miles I drove the car I figured out a bunch of little issues with the car. A lot of thing need to be addressed but for a shake down run I am extremely happy. I was even able to hammer the car a little on some curvy roads. I really see a lot of potential and cant wait for the future. I'll post some photos of everything a little later and maybe even a driving video soon.

EFI is the only way to go--good choice! As for the tunnel clearance I mentioned above, I would go for as much as you can. I think I originally did about two inches up on the back 1.5 feet or so of tunnel, and it was mostly good, but not best; do everything to maximize opportunity for suspension travel. Obviously, the drive shaft moves more at the back than the front, but if you tackle this, I'd go for at least three inches up; if you want to go overboard, just lift the whole tunnel from the shifter-back, unless you plan for a bigger transmission in the future. There are pictures around here where people have done this to fit T56s and the like, starting from the firewall. There's also that pinion snubber mess that wants to hit the pumpkin, unless yours doesn't have that . . .

Tire clearance is the main pain with the Falcon. I've re-done my rear wheelhouses probably about five times. Every new tire size seems to necessitate this. Pushing for speed really brings out the need to add space: laterally (and vertically) for tires and vertically for driveshaft clearance. I'd suggest pacing yourself, but I fail at that every day.

Drove the hell out of the car this week. A few kinks to work out and some major tuning to be done but I am super thrilled. The car performs great has a great power to weight, handles mazing, stops amazing. Made all the hard work worth it. Its pretty damn loud in the cab but who cares its a hot rod. Unfortunately I went to start the car today and the fuel pump is locked up. Immediately blows the fuse and doesn't even turn over, even with direct current to the pump. Super odd butIm going to contact Holley tomorrow. These fuel pump issues are really tiring, I especially despise changing them. Hopefully get a new fuel pump this week and get back to tuning. Here are some photos I took this weekend with some buddies and their tail dragger f100s and a friends mustang.

1963 Ford Falcon
      -331 Stroker Motor 450hp, 2700lbs
      2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Country Flag: France
      You've done excellent work reviving the old paint. The car looks amazing !

Congrats! Nothing like the first few drives of a new project.

Need more details on this thing! What exhaust? Interior? I thought I saw some TMI seats in one of the pictures. Did you change out the steering box and column?

Quote Originally Posted by 79bird View Post
      Congrats! Nothing like the first few drives of a new project.

Need more details on this thing! What exhaust? Interior? I thought I saw some TMI seats in one of the pictures. Did you change out the steering box and column?
      Currently I have hedman headers going straight back to two flowmasters. All of which was given to me with the car but I think Im going to get some blackwidows soon. As for interior I havent really done anything, I have some empi low back roadster style seats that I already hate. Super cheap quality, the buttons rip out etc. Im waiting to do carpet and the rest of the interior because I still need to build my rollcage. I have the oem manual steering box but I think it might be a quicker ratio, attached to a sweet manufacturing collapsible column. Im running a 15" wheel to help with the manual steering and it feels pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NoNo View Post
      You've done excellent work reviving the old paint. The car looks amazing !
      Thank you! it was a lot of work, and definitely has its imperfections but I think it really adds to the car, the patina looks cool in some areas.
      1963 Ford Falcon

For exhaust I got the Doug's headers, for a manual. They fit good, and tuck up nice and close to the body. I've got dynomax ultraflows on the mustang and they sound good, quiet when off the pedal but make some noise when on it. They replaced flowmasters which sucked... My brother used these in addition to vibrant resonators on a 390FE in a galaxie, and it was great! Didn't beat you up driving the 4 speed at highway speeds. That's what my plan is for the comet.

It's hard to find nice lowback seats, I've been looking.

I'm going from auto to stick, so I need to address the column, which leads to steering box, steering wheel...Might have to put that one off for a later date.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Country Flag: United States
      Procar makes a few nice low-back buckets. They are of good quality, available in a number of original look colors and don't break the bank.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

My brother had some procar seats in his galaxie = bruised kidneys....I assume if you are strapped in (5 point) you would probably be ok, but bouncing around on them (no seat belts and his car was straight axle) was brutal. At the same time, the firm seat should keep you in the same position during a crash if you are strapped in correctly, and be much safer. Any seat that is too comfortable probably lets you slide around in the seat belts when compressed.

I'm already thinking about going full race car and put my pro 2000 sparco seats in it. I got a wild hair today and I put in a temporary half cage haha. I already plan on ripping it out when I build my full cage but I just didnt want to drive the car with out proper 5 points. I also dont want to cough up the dough for a full DOM cage and maybe Ill order chromoly when I have the cash. Im also thinking if I want to keep low-backs ill go with racetech low-backs which are super sporty.
      1963 Ford Falcon

Here are some photos of interior and harness bar.

1963 Ford Falcon

To be clear, my brother did not have those rally low back seats, which actually look pretty good. And doesn't the low back seat rule out the 5 point harness? The Racetech seats do look good.

My vote: use the sparco seats.

Are you using a stock shifter? Pro 5.0 makes the stock T5 feel much better.

Im going to put in the 5 points and see how they feel, as for the shifter it is still stock. Ill upgrade later but first I want to drive the car a little more. It actually feels pretty decent and would feel even better with a heavy weight shift knob.

1963 Ford Falcon

Some more updates for you guys. Ive been putting a bunch of miles on the car sorting out issues, still cant get the EFI to run how I want to despite messing with everything. I painted the roll bar, as well as made some door panels for the car. Now I need to finish painting the rest of the interior of the car. The car is a lot of fun to drive and I'm really enjoying it but the power steering has got to go. I attempted my first autocross at Goodguys Del Mar but after 4 runs it was clear I couldn't be anywhere near competitive without power steering. So I ordered a borgeson quick ratio box today with a KRC pump and drive kit. Hopefully all the pulleys line up right. Anyway looking forward to installing it. Here are some photos from the past few months.

1963 Ford Falcon

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com