Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 6 speed swap

6 speed swap

I'm putting an ls3 with a tr6060 into my 67 Malibu, and was wondering if any of you have done something like this? Because the rear diff. is a solid axle and not IRS, I need some way of converting to a slip yoke or a 2 piece driveline. thanks for the help.

Country Flag: United States
      D&D sells the parts to turn a tr6060 into a T56 Magnum.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by rjselky View Post
      I'm putting an ls3 with a tr6060 into my 67 Malibu, and was wondering if any of you have done something like this? Because the rear diff. is a solid axle and not IRS, I need some way of converting to a slip yoke or a 2 piece driveline. thanks for the help.
      You can do the tailhousing swap like Andrew mentioned, which we carry the parts for this as well or you can get the 2-piece driveshafts that will work with it as well. They are a little more expensive to purchase than a normal driveshaft, last one we did was around $800.00, they are aluminum as well just like the factory ones, just custom length for your application with the slip joint built in. The other nice part about converting the transmission to the "magnum" style tailhousing is that you also gain the transmission mounted shift lever rather than the remote "tunnel" mounted shift lever which can be a little too far back for some guys. You can make them work either way, just depends on what options are more important for your build.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      You can do the tailhousing swap like Andrew mentioned, which we carry the parts for this as well or you can get the 2-piece driveshafts that will work with it as well. They are a little more expensive to purchase than a normal driveshaft, last one we did was around $800.00, they are aluminum as well just like the factory ones, just custom length for your application with the slip joint built in. The other nice part about converting the transmission to the "magnum" style tailhousing is that you also gain the transmission mounted shift lever rather than the remote "tunnel" mounted shift lever which can be a little too far back for some guys. You can make them work either way, just depends on what options are more important for your build.
      Thank you Craig, I checked with D&D unfortunately they do not make the necessary parts to do the conversion if its newer than 2010. So word to the wise DON'T buy one new than the 2010. How ever I am considering the 2 piece driveline, but not sure what to do about the shifter.

Thank you Craig, I checked with D&D unfortunately they do not make the necessary parts to do the conversion if its newer than 2010. So word to the wise DON'T buy one new than the 2010. How ever I am considering the 2 piece driveline, but not sure what to do about the shifter.
      Texas drive train performance did my 2012 tr6060 conversion, and it came out excellent.I was talked out of the driveshaft route because the driveshaft flange is a weak link.

Country Flag: Finland
      well you can do this also. I bought this http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3868-3-b...er-flange-yoke and the transmission shop build me driveshaft that has slip yoke build in to it. Driveshaft cost was about 650€ and the flange about 120€. The tube in my driveshaft is 3" so its quite big but i wanted the driveshaft to last. So far its holding great. Slip yoke is the biggest car type slip yokes that they could find. There was a comparison part in their shop and it was from Bmw m3 and the bmw yoke looked like a toy compared to my yoke :D

Thank you for the help everyone! Usually if you ask enough people you'll find someone else that's done it or tried it. I like the Ujoint adapter vs the cv joint. I'm going to look up the place in Texas for the transmission conversion.

Thank you for the help everyone! Usually if you ask enough people you'll find someone else that's done it or tried it. I like the Ujoint adapter vs the cv joint. I'm going to look up the place in Texas for the transmission conversion.
      That's why this is such a great forum.....

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Since you're doing a LS swap...and probably lowering the car, having a CV joint in the front will most likely be required in order to deal with messed up driveline angles.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Since you're doing a LS swap...and probably lowering the car, having a CV joint in the front will most likely be required in order to deal with messed up driveline angles.

Andrew
      Thought of that, I'm hoping to get enough adjustment out of the control arms to compensate.

Thought of that, I'm hoping to get enough adjustment out of the control arms to compensate.
      Depending on how much the car is lowered in the rear, control arm adjustment may not be enough. This is a very common issue for A-bodies.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Even though they may not have the parts, we've done several of those conversions on the newer than 2010 units. We carry all the pieces and parts for these transmissions.

Even though they may not have the parts, we've done several of those conversions on the newer than 2010 units. We carry all the pieces and parts for these transmissions.
      Craig,

So whats the difference between early and later Tr-6060s?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Craig,

So whats the difference between early and later Tr-6060s?

Andrew
      There isn't a lot of difference, and that's why I'm surprised to hear him say that. Tremec made some changes in the way the shift rail attaches on the TR-6060s, and some of the gears were a little different in the early units as well. From what we've seen, when GM and Tremec started the TR6060 program it was kind of a hybrid of the T56 and the new TR6060 that most guys are using. This from what we can gather was in the 2005-2009 range when they were being used in the Cadillac, GTOs and SSR. When the Camaro was reintroduced and Tremec released the Magnum to the aftermarket, they became the version most often seen now. We see so few of those early ones that I don't have a lot of info on them, but most of the conversions we do are on the newer units since it makes more sense to spend the money on a low mileage takeout.

There isn't a lot of difference, and that's why I'm surprised to hear him say that. Tremec made some changes in the way the shift rail attaches on the TR-6060s, and some of the gears were a little different in the early units as well. From what we've seen, when GM and Tremec started the TR6060 program it was kind of a hybrid of the T56 and the new TR6060 that most guys are using. This from what we can gather was in the 2005-2009 range when they were being used in the Cadillac, GTOs and SSR. When the Camaro was reintroduced and Tremec released the Magnum to the aftermarket, they became the version most often seen now. We see so few of those early ones that I don't have a lot of info on them, but most of the conversions we do are on the newer units since it makes more sense to spend the money on a low mileage takeout.
      Good stuff. You guys rock!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Craig@Bowler,

Just curious. How much do the tail shaft conversion parts cost; and can a home garage gearhead make the swap, or is it best to leave it to a shop?

Thanks.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Quote Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
      Craig@Bowler,

Just curious. How much do the tail shaft conversion parts cost; and can a home garage gearhead make the swap, or is it best to leave it to a shop?

Thanks.
      The parts cost right at $1400 for everything you need to convert over to the magnum tailhousing. If you are comfortable with the disassembly/reassembly you can do it at home. You will need access to a press and gear pulling tools since all the main shaft gears have to come off the 6060 shaft and then be put onto the Magnum main shaft. It's not an easy swap over, but with enough determination it can be done. Most shops will stand behind their work if something were to go wrong, whereas, if you do it at home and something doesn't get put back together correctly its all on you. It really comes down to what your time is worth versus paying someone to do it for you. I'm like a lot of you guys, and enjoy the learning part of figuring out how to do things myself, and the sense of pride that comes along with completing a home project, but if I have to invest in tools that may never be used again it makes it much more difficult to justify.

OK. Thanks for the detailed response, Craig.

Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com