Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Photobucket sucks!

For years....YEARS! I have used phtobucket, and even paid their 50.00 a year for their upgraded service until it was full of ads. Now they are holding the last several years of postings on all the forums i visit hostage.

Asking for a 400.00 annual membership to post photos on forums is ludicrous and i hope they crumble for it.

So, now that im done ranting, who are yall using to post pics? I have to sit down for a week and move EVERYTHING....

Fu €¥ photobucket.
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

Since I deleted my entire Photobucket account, I've been using this site to host the photos I've posted.

It was mentioned on another forum that you can use .jpg~original to make your links work. Just put the "~original" after the .jpg in you hyperlink. I assume at some point Photobucket will wise up on this but I was able to go back to an old post and edit my info and bring my missing pictures back from the dead.

Just throwing that option out there since I miss so many of the project pictures.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

I'm using postimages dot org. Easier to use than p-bucket. Fingers crossed it stays free and in existence.
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

Quote Originally Posted by gator68428 View Post
      I'm using postimages dot org. Easier to use than p-bucket. Fingers crossed it stays free and in existence.
      Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by gator68428 View Post
      well it should until everyone is using it then they will do the same thing i would expect.
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
      well it should until everyone is using it then they will do the same thing i would expect.
      Hopefully not but you never know I suppose.

The way P-bucket is doing it just screams desperation. If so desperate, then their end is near, how could any logical person justify paying so much money? Doesn't seem like sound bus practice and hopefully is indicative of poor management and explains the state of affairs.

If they were to spring a few dollars a month like some music apps do I bet more ppl would do it. But at this point everyone's hands are tied and seems they are doomed for failure.
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

They probably anticipate most folks dropping the service and will stay in business because the businesses out there using their service will cough up the ridiculous $ to avoid the hassle of finding a new host and going back and re-loading and reposting all of their photos.

I've started using imgur.com and after learning the platform a little I like it. I can still organize the photos in a specific folder for each car, something I liked about photobucket. 3rd part hosting is free.
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

I was on a Plus 20 plan and didn't get shut off. It was about 30-40 bucks a year and I felt it was a reasonable price. I'd exceeded my free storage a long time ago. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Someone's gotta pay whether it's the user directly or through putting up with advertising or some other method the company can find to collect money. They're in business to make money not provide services for free. How many of us have purchased something we saw on an ad in a photo hosting website? Not many I'd guess so they can't charge much for those ads. I'd bet the ads over here>>>>>>>> on this forum are a better return on investment for the aftermarket parts companies that advertise here than they could get on a photo hosting service because we're the target audience. Unfortunately for us car guys if the photo hosting hassles or expenses for individuals start to keep us from posting on the forums then the forums will die off.

Photobucket sent out a letter to people like me stating we'll continue to receive the 3rd party hosting till the end of 2018 on our current plan, but thereafter it will be 400 a year for 3rd party.

I've been searching around to see what I want to do. Jump storage companies, host myself, etc. Companies like Imgur, Flicker and others with the intro free storage bait all have a clause in their terms of service you agree to when you start using the service that allows them to do what Pbucket did.

From Imgurs TOS:
      " These Terms of Use constitute the entire agreement among the parties relating to this subject matter, and they will continue to govern any issues that arise out of your use of Imgur's services even after you discontinue using them. We may revise these terms from time to time without notice. "

Shortly before the Photobucket debacle Verizon bought Yahoo (including Flickr) for 4.8 BILLION. I'm sure they did it with the expectation of future profits from Yahoos network so I wouldn't be surprised to see changes there.

A lot of us (including myself) have a lot of our time invested in project threads on these forums we thought initially would stand for some length of time until something came along better than the internet. Who knows maybe a version of the Borg Collective. Anyway, once I had exceeded the "free" Pbucket limits and had to start paying I started thinking about what happens when we stop paying? The Pbucket cloud of doom made many realize our threads are like an old 8 track tape and aren't gonna last. I don't know what the future holds but things will continue to evolve.

I didn't use photobucket that much. I hated all their pop-up ads and redirected screens, but figured that was the price I had to pay for a 'free' service. But when I heard what they did to their users, basically hijacking all of their pictures for money, I deleted my pictures.
      I feel bad for the people that linked their build threads to photobucket.

I am now using Flickr, and rehosting my photobucket stuff as I run into dead links. I found it when looking for websites that let you host high-res photos for some of my photography stuff. You get a terabyte free, and when you click share one of the options is "bbcode", copy and paste that directly into a forum and it works. The best part is you can choose what size the image is that gets displayed(no more resizing every photo). An interesting part of it is you can set media rights to each photo, or leave it open to download for all.
      James
      1969 Mustang Fastback

I have been using facebook. I post a pic on FB and then copy the link and use that to post here. For example here is one from my FB page.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com