Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: ZL1 Brakes

ZL1 Brakes

I'm thinking about upgrading my brakes on my 72 Chevelle with a set of 2014 Zl1 brakes. What's the going price on a set of used front/back? Will I be please with the upgrade or not worth the hassle? Should I run the Zl1 stock rotors or upgrade them? The car is a weekend cruiser.

Country Flag: United States
      I'm looking into the same setup for my 70 Chevelle. The V2 CTS-V brembos are the exact same as the ZL1s but the calipers are way more affordable. At rockauto.com you can get new AC Delco calipers, the hardware kit, Centric rotors, and AC Delco brake pads for about $850. I haven't been able to find a used set cheaper than that.
      1970 Chevelle: 6.0 L96, T56, Strange 9 Inch, Ridetech Coilovers, Wilwood brakes

1978 Firebird: 6.0 LQ4, T56

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

How many pistons are those brakes at rockauto?

It's the same 6 piston Brembo caliper just with different paint.
      1970 Chevelle: 6.0 L96, T56, Strange 9 Inch, Ridetech Coilovers, Wilwood brakes

1978 Firebird: 6.0 LQ4, T56

2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ

What brackets would be needed to do this upgrade?

LSX Concepts sell the bracket.

I can get a used set of front and rear ZL1 6 piston calipers and rotors for $1500

Quote Originally Posted by David LaBuda View Post
      I'm looking into the same setup for my 70 Chevelle. The V2 CTS-V brembos are the exact same as the ZL1s but the calipers are way more affordable. At rockauto.com you can get new AC Delco calipers, the hardware kit, Centric rotors, and AC Delco brake pads for about $850. I haven't been able to find a used set cheaper than that.
      Got any part numbers you can pass along?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayesboy View Post
      I'm thinking about upgrading my brakes on my 72 Chevelle with a set of 2014 Zl1 brakes. What's the going price on a set of used front/back? Will I be please with the upgrade or not worth the hassle? Should I run the Zl1 stock rotors or upgrade them? The car is a weekend cruiser.
      If you shop around you can find a set of front and rear calipers only for around 600.00 to 1200.00 on ebay with rotors for a few hundred more. As for upgrading the rotors the factory ones work great you just have to have the stock one's re-drilled or buy new ones from adamsrotors.com with the 5x4.750 bolt pattern already in them for about 1000 for a set of 4 drilled and slotted with shipping.

Are these brake set-ups, "wheel sensitive"? In other words, is a $1500 Forgeline going to be necessary, to clear the Brembos?

Quote Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
      Are these brake set-ups, "wheel sensitive"? In other words, is a $1500 Forgeline going to be necessary, to clear the Brembos?
      You are going to need more offset than you would run with say a wilwood or stock kit because the late model cars have the brakes sticking further out with almost no hat offset.

I have a customer who has a thread on here and he is running Weld Wheels with a 18x9 with 6" bs on the front and the rears are 18x11 with 6.6" bs. ( see https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...s-CTS-V-Brakes )

I myself run a C7 Corvette Wheel on my 70 Chevelle with a 2 inch wheel spacer in the front, the rear I run a 3/8 spacer but I have a IRS so that doesn't really count.

This is not a simple bolt on and go kit, If you want really big brakes its takes a little effort. If you had to buy a big brake Brembo kit for you car, just fronts would cost you 4000.00 you can do the ZL1 brakes for half that on the whole car if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevelleNV View Post
      You are going to need more offset than you would run with say a wilwood or stock kit because the late model cars have the brakes sticking further out with almost no hat offset.

I have a customer who has a thread on here and he is running Weld Wheels with a 18x9 with 6" bs on the front and the rears are 18x11 with 6.6" bs. ( see https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...s-CTS-V-Brakes )

I myself run a C7 Corvette Wheel on my 70 Chevelle with a 2 inch wheel spacer in the front, the rear I run a 3/8 spacer but I have a IRS so that doesn't really count.

This is not a simple bolt on and go kit, If you want really big brakes its takes a little effort. If you had to buy a big brake Brembo kit for you car, just fronts would cost you 4000.00 you can do the ZL1 brakes for half that on the whole car if you want.
      I appreciate your honesty, Greg. If I have to buy new wheels to clear the calipers though, it kills my budget.

Anybody know if a wilwood 1” bore master cylinder will be ok with the zl1 brakes? Will also be using a Dual 9” Diaphragm booster.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com