Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wilwood Master Cylinder Recall

There's been a recall on Wilwood 7/8" tandem master cylinders. Please check the link, check the part numbers against what's on your car, and get a replacement if you're affected. Losing front brake pressure unexpectedly is a bad thing.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17E030000
      Andrew Scott
      '87 GN - 12.8 @ 108
      https://www.andrewdscott.com
      Instagram: @andrewdscott12
      Twitter: @Andrew1427

Country Flag: United States
      Wilwood sent me their recall program info & asked me to post it.

This is a voluntary recall on Wilwood's part. They have it mapped out in a 4-page document to make it easy to see if your master cylinder is in the recall.

It is a batch of 7/8" tandem M/Cs from Jan 2006 to Sept 2016

You can contact Wilwood at this Recall Number (805) 384-2270 & they will answer any questions.

Name:  Wilwood .875 MC Recall Notice Page 1.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  109.6 KB
      Name:  Wilwood .875 MC Recall Notice Page 2.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  69.9 KB
      Name:  Wilwood .875 MC Recall Notice Page 3.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  61.2 KB
      Name:  Wilwood .875 MC Recall Notice Page 4.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  47.7 KB
      Last edited by Ron Sutton; 07-11-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Wow glad they made this public. so its only the 7/8, damn i had 3 of these go bad in 2013-2015 i bet this was the reason

Country Flag: Canada
      Thank you very much for the heads up, I checked in with them and need to ship mine back for upgrades...... who knows how much grief you may have saved me, honestly , thanks so much Turbo6inKY and Ron.

My MC is coming off and being sent in before I drive the car again. I hope to have it back in time for a track day on 8/13.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I just removed mine and have it boxed up to send tomorrow. I too hope it gets turned around quickly, our summers are SHORT up here in New England! Hoping to get a few autocross events and a track day or two in before the snow flies!
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I just sent a pair in for recall. The tech told me 24-28 hour turn around for rebuild, bench/dyno test, and return. It's not a good position to be in for them and their customers. They are handling this the most professional way possible so far.
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

i just received a reply from Wilwood regarding my 7/8 MC and they made me an offer I have not heard anyone mention yet. They offered to let me purchase a new master cylinder for $150, send the defective on back and credit me $50 when received. Then send the repaired master cylinder back free of charge. Now i am not the brightest bulb of the bunch, but it appears that i can purchase a new MC for ~$150 off and they will send me the old one back repaired for free?? Not that i really need 2 master cylinders, but this seems to be a screaming deal. Just curious if others were offered the same. Thanks, Matt

I just called on mine today, its a couple days later than they said. I did not get a call back, but at the end of the day, i got a email with shipping confirmation back. At leas they had caller ID and matched my phone to my recall.

Matt, If you have the time, I would take that deal for sure.
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

Sent mine. Great communication. Total time off car: 8 days. Painted the firewall and installed new brake lines while it was out.
      Paul
      Dallas

I am still waiting for mine to come back from Wilwood. I shipped it on 7/26/17 and have not heard a thing yet. Hope it gets back soon as I have already missed one event and summer is short up here in New England.

Unfortunately they never offered the purchase of a new one for $150 to me or I would have done it.

Thank goodness my motorcycle track days fill the void a bit.

Cheers, Brew
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Final report on my 7/8" master-cylinder recall. I received my M/C back on 8/21. This was after sending it on 7/26. The M/C I received was a brand new one. This is great and I am appreciative to Wilwood for replacing it. That said it would have been better for them to offer me the new M/C from the beginning. I lost four weeks of driving my car due to this. I would have been more than happy to pay the cost of the new M/C and then remove and send my old one back. They could have then refunded me the cost of the replacement one once they received my original one. This would have gotten me back on the road much faster.

In the end I missed an autocross event and a track day due to the method they used to recall the M/C. I live in New England and we do not have the season length that many other parts of our country do. While I am happy to have a good replacement M/C. The method Wilwood used to respond could have been better. Hopefully they learn from the experience and if this ever happens again they will consider different procedures to implement the recall.

Overall I am a happy Wilwood customer. I just hate loosing time during the very short season we have to enjoy our vehicles up here in New England.

Thanks for reading, Brew

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com