Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 2004R instal

2004R instal

Hello,

I have installed a 2004R in my 72 Skylark, the gearbox comes from Extreme Automatics and the TV cable is an EZ TV Cable from Bowtie Overdrives.

As explained in both instructions, I replaced the TV spring from the gearbox with the one included in the Bowtie kit.

Everything is in place but I 'm afraid to go further and damage the gearbox....

I don't know how to tune the idle TV position...(ExtremeAutomatics gives an ideal length of 0.840 but with their own spring, not the one from Bowtie ).
      I don't know either why it's needed to replace the TV springs...I don't understand why you must replace the TV sping when you change the TV Cable !?

I have another issue with the oil lines going from the gearbox to the radiator, I read that the 2004R has inverted ports compared to the TH350, does it is critical to use the same position as the TH 350 or must I invert the position ?

Thanks for your help

regards

David

1972 Buick Skylark Coupe Pro-Touring (of course!)
      1968 Pontiac Catalina Station Wagon
      1971 El Camino SOLD
      1978 Dodge B200 Tradesman Maxivan ShaggyVan

Country Flag: United States
      I have the 2004R from extreme automatics, with 773rwhp. Have had it for about 4 years. I also use the cable from Bowtie overdrives (in fact just had to order another cable last week cause the little ball at the end that connects to the throttle linkage area popped off). Bowtie overdrives stresses that you need to change the spring with their set up or you will destroy the tranny. I believe the one in your tranny is probably pretty close. I never changed mine, but I highly recommend using a pressure gauge to check the pressure in your tranny per the directions that came with it. I actually have a pressure sensor connected to the side of mine that shows up on my dakota dash. This way I can always monitor the pressure. If you pressure is good you will be fine. I take mine to the track and run high 9s in the 1/4 and street drive it all the time (never a issue). The only issue I had is I broke a ring gear at the track after 3/4 years of use and Lonnie fixed it like new under warranty. In fact they said everything inside the tranny looked brand new and to continue doing what I have been because they have never seen one look that good after the abuse I gave it for several years. I say its due to me keeping the pressure on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Buick View Post
      Hello,

I have installed a 2004R in my 72 Skylark, the gearbox comes from Extreme Automatics and the TV cable is an EZ TV Cable from Bowtie Overdrives.

As explained in both instructions, I replaced the TV spring from the gearbox with the one included in the Bowtie kit.

Everything is in place but I 'm afraid to go further and damage the gearbox....

I don't know how to tune the idle TV position...(ExtremeAutomatics gives an ideal length of 0.840 but with their own spring, not the one from Bowtie ).
      I don't know either why it's needed to replace the TV springs...I don't understand why you must replace the TV sping when you change the TV Cable !?

I have another issue with the oil lines going from the gearbox to the radiator, I read that the 2004R has inverted ports compared to the TH350, does it is critical to use the same position as the TH 350 or must I invert the position ?

Thanks for your help

regards

David
      David,
      The flow direction is different from the TH350 to the 200-4R. I would still keep the hot fluid routed to the bottom port of the radiator cooler. You may want to consider adding or using an external cooler that is much more efficient at keeping the fluid cooler in an OD transmission. You can never have too much cooling for an automatic.

If you are still struggling with your TV cable system we do have an alternative system call the Tru-Shift that replicates the GM geometry on an aftermarket carburetor or TBI. This eliminates the need for pressure monitoring and setting cable length measurements.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Country Flag: Canada
      I have the same set up as well with the TV Made EZ, following.

This is my adjustment procedure without pressure gauges: Start out with the adjustment "short" giving you higher RPM shifts, with more line pressure ( this to my knowledge wont hurt the transmission ), and slowly make the adjustment "longer" until there are no stacked shifts and in (D) the OD shift happens around 35-37 MPH. What I know kills these transmissions is too low of line pressure which causes slips and burnt clutches.

Subsc'd , since it won't be too long til I install a 2004r in my son'd project, this could be useful.

Chris

Chris
      1967 ElCamino
      2004 Chevy SSR (my sons)
      1951 Chevy pickup(my sons)

1967 Elky https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...587-Evil-Angel

1951 truck https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...3-year-old-son

What torque converter are you using? l/u or non-l/u?

I have a 2004R from Extreme Automatics as well and could not get the correct measurements Lonnie requests by using the Bowtie O/D kit. Ended up not replacing the spring, but using the Bowtie base plate under the carb and the other commonly used "tv cable geometry corrector" plate bolted to the carb. With some mods and tweaking I was able to get very close to the magic measurement number. Verified with a manual psi check.
      88 Monte SS
      80 Malibu
      GM G-bodies: Because I can't afford a 69 Camaro

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com