Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Wiring removal at complete tear down

Hey all,

Im in the process of tearing my 72 firebird down to the sub frame. Ground up resto-mod. Is there anything i need to do with the wiring that wont cone back to bite me later? I plan on getting some sort of wire harness later, but im not sure if i need to take any precautions now or just start cutting and yanking. Thanks
      1972 Pontiac Firebird - current project
      1968 Pontiac Firebird - current cruiser, next project?

I clipped off each connector with about 6 inches of wire attached and put them all in a bag. This way you will always have something to fall back on if your wiring harness doesn't have all the right connectors. I did my own wiring harness and was able to reuse a lot of the connector shell housings. I didn't really need the 6 inches of wire as I was able to buy replacement terminals for the connectors.

Id suggest removing it as intact as possible because nobody to my knowledge offers a 100% factory style replacement or even updated harnesses with an OEM/NOS style appearance. Everyone offers "update" kits with newer fuse panels, extra relays, extra wire length, blah blah but as for correct looming, retainers, tape retentions, breakout connectors and rosebud clips, etc. so if you plan to replace it with a newer version, Id keep your original wiring as complete as possible until you go to re-install yours.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com