Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Help on tire size..

I'm looking at BFG g-ForceSport Comp-2 tires for my '68 Camaro, 275/40-18 on 9.5 " wide wheels 5.25 BS on rear,
      245/40-18 on 8" wide wheels 4.50 BS on front. What are you guys views in this combination? The suspension has not been altered any. Everything is stock. Thanks.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

What about the tires... anyone?

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

The site is almost dead,Carl, when a First Gen Camaro owner can't get an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
      The site is almost dead,Carl, when a First Gen Camaro owner can't get an answer.
      It certainly seems that way..

Carl Wilson

I would use 5.5 or even 5.75 BS on the rear and 4.75 on the front. Tire sizes are good. If running stock discs on the front, may even want to go 4.875 BS on front. My experience is they push the wheel out more than any other disc setup I've used. This advise could be altered depending on what brakes you are running. But I'm guessing stock disc in front & stock drum in rear. Hope this helps some
      Scott

Thanks Scott,
      I'm using stock aftermarket disc front and back. The wheels i'm looking at only offer them in limited offsets. The tires, I'm wondering what people think of them since they are directional, and if anyone has used them before.

Carl Wilson

I ran a very similar setup on my 68 Firebird a while back. When I had stock front end and rear TCI four link. Fronts were 18x8.5" wide and rears 18x9.5". Front BS was 4.94 and the rear BS was 5.5. Tires were 245/40 F and 275/35 rear. Fitment was spot on. I had the CPP big (disc) brake kit on all fours.

The rear was a tight squeeze in the stock wheel well and when I upgraded to a 285/35 tire it rubbed a little on the inner wall of the wheel well. Seems that in your case with leaf springs, the inner back of the rear wheel well is still the closest thing to the tire (you can check) so it shouldn't make a diff that I had a four link. The outer sidewall of the 275 was very close to the outer fender lip and required rolling when going to the 285.
      The diff in my case is a slightly thicker spacing of the wheel due a disc rotor compared to drum, but that diff if less than 0.25", probably less than 1/8". Meaning if you get the 5.5" backspace like I had, you would be almost 1/8" closer to inner wheel well. If you get the 5.25 BS keep an eye on the fender lip.

Since your fronts are skinnier that would set you inward only 0.25" from where I was (due the diff in BS)--probably fine, but there will be rubbing at full lock on the steering wheel (with mine there was). I would be tempted to go to 4.75 like Z06vet recommended.

Worst case scenario remember, you can always add a spacer if the BS is too much, but you can't go the other way if BS is too little.
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

Thanks guys..

Carl Wilson

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com