Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1972 El Camino SS - Identity Crisis - PT/Restomod for sale

1972 El Camino SS 402ci TH400 Automatic

The concept was to make the car/truck look as stock, as retro as possible with subtle modern upgrades. Most upgrades aren't noticeable. The exception is the big brakes and larger wheels but with taller tires I feel it just the right compromise.

402 Big Block (.040 over) total 406ci recently rebuilt.
      TH400 Automatic Transmission, shift enhanced, with B&M floor shifter. Shifts hard manually or smooth if set to auto. Huges 2500 stall speed converter
      Rebuilt Drive line with driveshaft loop
      Built BOP 8.5" Positraction with Richmond 3.42gears, Mosler 31 spline axles. Same rear end used in 442 or big torque BOP=Buick Olds Pontiac. Very solid.
      Holley Projection 900cfm Electronic fuel injection (hidden from view). Looks like it's a carbed engine factory (day 2) engine.
      New 4 core aluminum radiator with dual electric fans
      Dial adjustable radiator fans thermostat
      New high torque Starter
      Rust repair done.
      Body and paint done single stage Victory Red with black painted stripes.
      Full American Autowire rewire with enhancements over stock.
      Full interior redone, New: carpet, door panels, dash, seats.
      New SS dash with rebuilt cluster, tach replacing clock, oil and water gauges replacing idiot lights.
      New Retrosound radio that looks and fits in the original space, but allows connection to modern smart phone.
      Dash tweeters with bass blockers, rear retro speakers and underseat bass speaker.
      New rebuild factory bucket seats
      CPP 13" Front brake kit, 12" rear brake kit, stops on its nose!
      Suspension - Front QA1 Coilover shocks/springs, huge swaybars, delrin bushings.
      Rear Jegs adjustable control arms upper and lower. Air bags and coil over shocks.
      8" x 17" American Racing Hopster wheels. 275x55x17 rear tires, 235x50x17 front.
      Hedman shorty ceramic coated headers with 3" exhaust, H pipe and Flowmasters turn downs or tailpipes.
      It has Air Conditioning that works! Probably installed by a dealer, not factory.

Oh, and it has Nitrous. 125 shot. It's not completely installed, but just need the final connections worked out.
      Overall, it's a complete, quick starting, smooth running, muscle car with modern amenities that handles great and stops on a dime. Less than 5,000 on this whole rebuild

More engine details if you care..
      I wasn't satisfied with the power from newly rebuilt 402, (now 406). So I did some investigating and found that it only had about 7.5:1 compression and a large mismatch of parts. So I threw out the stock 500-4000 rpm cam and the 2500-7000 rpm torque II intake. Replaced the open chamber heads with rebuilt closed chamber heads, added a New VooDoo 256 cam (60201), Harland roller rockers, and Wieand Stealth intake. The heads and Wieand came together and were port matched with minor port cleanup.

More pictures in the build thread. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...light=dan10101

Overall, it's a complete, quick starting, smooth running, muscle car with modern amenities that handles great and stops on a dime. Less than 5,000 on this whole rebuild

I had to paint the driveway.... http://youtu.be/p0WGnZveino

Just reduced to 18,000 or BO or Trade for 2000+ Corvette or 1st gen Nova or 1st/2nd gen Camaro
      Name:  2015-10-31 14.23.46.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  465.0 KBName:  Dash gauges in the sunlight.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  224.4 KBName:  DSC_3799.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  291.5 KBName:  DSC_3809.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  282.0 KBName:  DSC_3811.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  182.6 KB
      1972 El Camino SS something or other..
      Now wanabee Protouring.

we need a 'I like but its too far away" button...

what part of CA? (front plate) or Oregon (rear plate)?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com