Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which kit to buy AAW or Painless

I bought a 69 Camaro shell, need to fully wire the car which kit should I buy the AAW or Painless, maybe you guys have other suggestions? Also why is there like $200 difference between the 2 kits? Is one more complete? Also I'm not that electrically savvy, but can follow instructions really well so it's important that the Manuel is detailed.

I will have an LSA, power windows, power door locks, power trunk release, sound system with 4 speakers and sub with amp and some Bluetooth head unit.

thanks

Country Flag: United States
      I used EZ Wiring for my Camaro. I don't have any complaints and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

AAW update wiring kit. Perfect for what you described you're running.

Country Flag: Canada
      AAW Update ...I ran AAW with the PSI LS harness and GM computer ... perfect
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Another vote for AAW, Classic update kit. Have one in my 68, great kit!
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Another for AAW... Even if you don't spring for the Classic Update, their builder series harnesses are great.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Thanks for your help. AAW it is. I checked out the ez wire but I think it will have too many things missing and I will spend same money in the end.

Another vote for AAW

It sounds like you are going to use a lot of upgrades. I bought the AAW classic upgrade and was not happy with it. I have added relays and extra wires for my upper and lower headlights, twin relays for my fans, relay for my conv top, and electric fuel pump. That also includes a 100 amp fuse and 2 gauge wire to a separate connector for the relays. I will have another one if I ever get around to putting a amp system in it . My HP EFI has it's own wiring as well as my Vintage Air. I do not know if someone make a kit that has all these relays built in for all these accessories. I use the top terminals on the battery to run the car. I use the side terminal to run all the relays and accessories. As a note I took a Ford starter solenoid and gutted it and use the terminals for my power to the relays and the other side as grounds so every thing is grounded right back into the battery. Most of these accessories recommend you ground everything to the battery there by I used the solenoid.

It does depend on your options of choice. Even their update kits (or anyones for that matter) cant take everything into consideration. My auto upgrades go way beyond what they could offer hence why I build my own and for others but for example fan control-they give you a relay control...so what? How about I want to run a dual 14" F150 fan assembly but what if I want to convert it to a 3-speed setup using relays?

What if I plan to add 1-touch auto down and up windows?

What about a delay off lighting circuit?

Does the update kit cut-off the AC compressor on WOT?

It just isnt possible-oh but you can call and have them build a custom harness once they figure out if they can do it-remember if they dont have schematics to use it may take awhile to hear back. You dont get factory fit replacement harnesses like NOS with upgrades-that would be too costly for them-Im sure they assume as long as you have neat printed wiring and make you do all the terminations thats all you need.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Although I voted for AAW because my Chevelle was recently wired with AAW and operates flawlessly, the guy who helped me wire the car prefers this http://coachcontrols.com/index.php?m...e=products_all . He wires a lot of high end car locally here in So Cal. I had already purchased the AAW kit before I met and hired him to help me. He said the AAW kit was nice and complete but did have to add several relays and modified the harness to eliminate some of the wires that weren't used. The Coach Controls unit has built in relays and a lot of modern features. I'm planning on using the Coach Controls unit in my current '55 Chevy build.

AAW is more complete, it includes many exclusive GM connectors that other kits require you to reuse old or use items completely different such as two or three spade connectors instead of a single plug

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      I bought a 69 Camaro shell, need to fully wire the car which kit should I buy the AAW or Painless, maybe you guys have other suggestions? Also why is there like $200 difference between the 2 kits? Is one more complete? Also I'm not that electrically savvy, but can follow instructions really well so it's important that the Manuel is detailed.

I will have an LSA, power windows, power door locks, power trunk release, sound system with 4 speakers and sub with amp and some Bluetooth head unit.

thanks
      The update kit will have an accessory circuit for your PW, PL, and you can use on of the others for the trunk release. Not sure how your LSA harness is made, lots of aftermarket harness have relays for Fans and fuel pump. I used the fuel pump wire from AAW as a fused circuit because my LS harness has the fuel pump fuse. My audio system only uses the body harness for power to the radio.

Be sure if you choose other options, that you can get tech support. I know without a doubt you can from AAW because I've call on a few occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      AAW is more complete, it includes many exclusive GM connectors that other kits require you to reuse old or use items completely different such as two or three spade connectors instead of a single plug
      I'm with Rod, if you're not in depth with wiring buy the Classic Update. A builder harness will have you making lots of connections yourself.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

For high end cars using lots of options and wishing for BCM-like capabilities, InfinityBox is the way to go.

http://infinitybox.com/

I've used their stuff many times. It requires wiring expertise, but most folks can manage it. Plus their tech support is amazing.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      For high end cars using lots of options and wishing for BCM-like capabilities, InfinityBox is the way to go.

http://infinitybox.com/

I've used their stuff many times. It requires wiring expertise, but most folks can manage it. Plus their tech support is amazing.
      Just curious, why do you say it requires wiring expertise? According to their website you don't need any experience at all.

You have to have a better understanding of 12 volt systems to use the Infinity Box vs Classic Update. The Infinity Box is built for all cars while the Classic Update is built for your model car. Again, given the OPs experience AAW Classic Update is the right answer, their print is second to none along with the packaging/grouping of different sections.

Regarding the Coach controls fuse box. Just like Infinity Box, you have to understand 12 volt systems when trying to integrate that into your car. My huge hang up with Coach is the printed circuit board carrying any amount of amperage. Centech does the same thing and I have replaced a handful of those over the years. I have recently learned that you can melt a fuse before it blows so no thanks on a PCB.

Infinity Box is stupid money for a base kit (in my opinion). For me, it just isn't that important that the lights come on and dim slowly, one touch windows, or any of that other gingerbread along those lines. Also, it drives me crazy that I can't change the I/Os myself.

I prefer to wire from scratch.....building my own fuse and relay centers, packaging them where they need to go, and using all black wire (aside from the EFI harness). For me it's easier........for some, they would end up in a rubber room.

Once again, no right answer for every situation.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

InfinityBox does say that no wiring experience is necessary, but Donny's right. You need to understand all the basics of 12v wiring to use their gear, plus you'll have to source all the required OEM connectors.

It is expensive, and they still haven't released the app so that us installer types can do our own programming. But I love it anyway, since all kinds of programming things are possible, and I really dig doing all the control circuits in 28g wire leaving the power circuits for the bulky 14g stuff.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

What a great thread. I was just about to ask this question for my '67 Camaro. Apparently the prior owner thought you could "splice" the whole harness and it would be cool. Probably why my wipers don't work. LOL.
      I think I'll check out the AAW harness since I don't have anything extra that I'm worried about. I just need a complete & new harness so I don't have to worry when the wife takes off in the car somewhere.

Thanks guys. Looks like I've got a solid Winter project ahead to look forward to. Too bad I don't have it "now" since the motor/trans is out of the car.

Anybody use a Ron Francis wiring kit? I'm looking at their Mopar one.

After dealing with Painless.....AAW All the WAY!!!

I'm so disappointed in my Painless harness.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com