Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Paint brands and cost

I called a local body shop supply store and asked for a quote on the Prowler Orange 2002 PPG Deltron2. I was quoted around $400 / quart!!! Seems super expensive. I looked online and I can get HOK pearl paint for around 120-150 quart.

Is PPG really that expensive or am I being overquoted? Is PPG worth that kind of money? Any other brands that are good and cheaper?

Country Flag: United States
      I went to a few local auto body shops here for price quotes and they matched what you got.

I'm in SoCal, so we have a lot of restrictions on paint options.

I found a couple of online retailers that could ship to my address and ended up buying all my materials online for a fraction of the quoted costs.

I try to support my local businesses when possible, but they just make it so difficult.
      Brian

1972 C10 - 454/TH400 - Short bed conversion - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...1972-C10-SoCal
      1970 Nova - LS Swap - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Cal?highlight=

The cost is based on the raw materials used. I'm not familiar with the Prowler formula, but it could be mica heavy or tri cost??
      66 Chevelle - LS-Leap

LQ9 / T56 Complete - Phase 2 in process!!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-LS-Heap-quot
      SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, Advanced Induction, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock LS-Kit, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Automotive, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy Suspension, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

PPG Deltron is expensive. I only use it when absolutely necessary. Check with Autorodtechnologies.com for Motobase and Wanda.

I also use SPI for primers and clear to save money and get great products. I use their base and single stage too but the color selection is limited.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

The HOK paints I've heard are a little watery as far as color concentration, so may take a few more coats of paint to cover. This is partly so less experienced sprayers may get a more even look through more thin color coats.

I definitely say go with what Don just said & check with autorodtechnologies for your base & spi for primers & clears. Spi also has an intercoat clear which some use with universal colorants to make their own candies.

Also with bodysupply shops, if you can ever use the name of someone with a professional cash account, you could spend a bit less.

You know, you could ask a dozen different people and probably get a dozen different answers on paint choice. I think it all boils down to preference. I used Sherwin-Williams on my Camaro and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I still can't get over the cost of paint. The "good" clear cost me over $300 a gallon for the clear and hardener. I'm just getting old and set in my ways I guess, but paint is expensive.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com