Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

e stop parking brake

Was thinking about installing e stop on my 69 camaro. Wanted to know if anyone has done this on a 69. Pics would be great

I know Sheck (on here) has done it on his latest '69. He seems to really like it.
      Last edited by minendrews68; 06-11-2017 at 07:02 AM. Reason: You would think I could spell! Fixed it though

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Country Flag: Canada
      Carl is correct, actually very easy system to install and works perfectly

custom made brackets from 14g sheet metal, also using the Lokar EC-81FU ford explorer cable kit that works perfectly for the wilwood rear brakes. Just cut the cables to length using angle grinder

temp install for fit, boted completely through the frame connectors

ended up about 1" higher (more clearance) than the exhaust so LOTS of clearance

Done ... nice and clean and protected

Custom shifter plate made with integrated E-Stopp button (silver) just behind the shifter itself

Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Quote Originally Posted by sheck44 View Post

custom made brackets from 14g sheet metal, also using the Lokar EC-81FU ford explorer cable kit that works perfectly for the wilwood rear brakes. Just cut the cables to length using angle grinder

Custom shifter plate made with integrated E-Stopp button (silver) just behind the shifter itself

thanks for all the info was wondering about room for it but that is a great idea bolting through the frame connectors

Classic Industries has the ESTOPP brake kit and with their current discounts it nets out at $432 before shipping. Is that the best deal on these?

Also, can you share how you routed cables over year axle?

Quote Originally Posted by sheck44 View Post

Man!, could not ask for a better visual than Steve's Camaro.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Big thank you Carl !!
      mklinger, will get the car back in the next couple of days and will post up some cable pics

here is a quick shot from a photo shoot we did last week

Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

new here guys, i had this EStop when it first came out and one thing that worried me is the time it takes to engage, i think its best suited as a park brake not an emergency brake. i do like the clean install and no more handle on the inside. i wonder if anyone has explored a way to speed up engagement?

Can't comment on the time it takes but I just found out how to make that beeping stop. From whoever answers their facebook messages - "Yeah, there is a way. There's a beeper inside the control box. You have to open the box and clip the red and black wires connected to the small black beeper".
      Just FYI in case you hate it too
      Edit - I sold mine because it took too long to engage/ disengage for my tastes. A cool device, but an answer to a question I didn't need to ask.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

I'd like to see some cable routing pics as well if anyone has any. Also, has if anyone went a different route, can you please post some pics?
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

I don't see a problem with the engagement time. Do you really want it to engage quickly in an emergency, so quick that it will lock up the brakes? Besides, with a dual circuit braking system, you should have brakes at the front or rear in case of some sort of failure. At least enough to make one stop. There is also engine braking if you have a manual trans.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

What Andrew said: your dual circuit hydraulic brakes serve the purpose of an emergency brake, per the DOT.

The EStopp is not an emergency brake. That's expressly stated in the installation instructions, and you're supposed to connect the control box to key-on power so that it WON'T engage while the engine is running.

It's a parking brake. Full stop.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

What if you have a manual trans car and you want to keep the engine running, but you're parked on a hill?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
      What if you have a manual trans car and you want to keep the engine running, but you're parked on a hill?
      Use the middle pedal (the brake) to keep the car from rolling. You'll need to clarify why one would be parked with the engine running.

You could turn off the engine, set the brake, and then re-start the engine, if it's vital to be parked with the parking brake set with the engine running...
      John Parsons

Even if you don't want it as an emergency brake the engagement for this thing is painfully slow. Clarify why anyone would be parked with the engine running? Surely you can't be serious.
      If someone has to do mental gymnastics to justify the need for something, and normal day to day usage requires playing games turning your car on and off again to use a slow, largely pointless device that sounds like a garbage truck backing up, then it might not be something everyone needs. A neat toy that certainly has its uses, but anyone considering buying one should be aware of the limitations and compromises these uses entail.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
      Clarify why anyone would be parked with the engine running? Surely you can't be serious.
      But I was. And you left out the hill part. If you're parked, why is the engine running? When I've parked a car, I turn off the engine. Just seems like the thing to do, I guess.

Many late model cars have a similar arrangement.

The Estopp is a decent solution for a parking brake, and it can really help when your 3" exhaust rubs on the parking brake cables.
      John Parsons

Not dog in this fight but if I pull up to a friends house who lives on a hill and waiting for them to come out ... an e brake with the engine running would be the situation you're mentioning
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Sure -- it's not the same as the OEM parking brake that came in the car. Just set the parking brake, put the car in neutral, release the clutch, slowly release the brake, relax, and await your friend's arrival.

With the Estop, you'd need to turn off the engine while waiting, or keep your foot on the brake.

If that situation is a requirement, and turning off the engine while waiting for your friend is a showstopper, then the Estopp isn't for you.
      John Parsons

A bit of a kludge but you could add a momentary contact normally closed push button to allow you to disable the safety connection and apply the brake while the car is running. You would have to hold the push button while the brake is engaging.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

You can also buy this kit, it’s all self contained in the metal box which queits the actuator a lot, it also doesn’t have the beeping sound and it’s pretty quick. I’ve just bench tested mine hooked up to a 12v atv battery and it’s pretty quick. Also you don’t have to fab anything up for the cable mounting. Great kit for 1/3 of the price of the estop.
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Push-Button...EAAOSwnh9cBpGV

I also thought about lining the inside of the metal box with sound deadened to really get this thing to non existent sound levels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com