Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

single v. triple pass radiator

After about half a day of google I can't find any info besides from manufacturers that a triple pass radiator is of any benefit,and then no a/b test that verify results.
      I did find an old thread here that seemed to only say a triple pass is a solution looking for a problem. .
      My FE mustang just picked up another hole in my second plain rap Summit radiator so I'm thinking of going with a BeCool of another name brand and was just trying to add excess capacity. In 90deg temps at highway speeds the temp doesn't run at thermostat rating with the ac on and I would like it to.

My fan set up survived Hot Rod Power Tour last year with the AC on and stable temp of 220 parked in traffic,but there is room for improvement as the "recovery" once moving takes 5-10 miles at speed.

So does anybody have real world experience with triple pass radiators? Positive or negative?

I don't have any real world experience, but this is how it was explained to me...

Yes, your coolant is passing through 3 times, but you are only using 1/3 of the surface area of the radiator and you are only passing 1/3 the volume. So once it goes through 3 times, it's just basically evening out.

That is pretty much what I found too,a solution looking for a problem.

The answer is wider I know. I stop leaked it and it's holding ,wider requires redoing my AC lines as the only hurdle.

The other issue with a triple pass radiator is that it can only move 1/3 the volume of coolant which results in back pressure to the flow. You are better off with a single pass radiator. Also, a double row core with 1" wide tubes seems to be the preferred arrangement. BeCool is a nice dependable choice.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com