Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Adjustment slots in LCA bracket okay?

From all the knowledge I've gained from Mr. Sutton and literally everyone else here, I should have a good range of adjustment on my lca brackets. I have a 1969 442 ls1 swap, the 9" is being installed right now, but the lower and angle up towards the driver.

To control anti squat and rear steer, I want to be able to adjust the forward mount bracket to be level it slightly higher /lower depending on track types.

I am welding in these lca brackets from wildrides, but would like to connect the holes.

Anyone see an issue with connecting those holes strength wise or sliding under launch?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech442 View Post
      From all the knowledge I've gained from Mr. Sutton and literally everyone else here, I should have a good range of adjustment on my lca brackets. I have a 1969 442 ls1 swap, the 9" is being installed right now, but the lower and angle up towards the driver.

To control anti squat and rear steer, I want to be able to adjust the forward mount bracket to be level it slightly higher /lower depending on track types.

I am welding in these lca brackets from wildrides, but would like to connect the holes.

Anyone see an issue with connecting those holes strength wise or sliding under launch?

Launch?

I just got nervous. Are you going to drag race it with slicks? If so, I would not slot the brackets.

If you're talking launch ... like autocross & brake stop events ... on TW 200 radials ... slots will work if the material is quality & thick enough. For mild steel, I like to see these be .250" thick & 3/4" of material on "pull side" if the slot is 3" or less. If you use either HR50 Steel (like we do in our kits) or 4130 chromoly, the bracket can be 3/16" thick & be good.

P.S. My concern for your brackets is not the slot.

From the photos ... It looks like these mount to the side of the frame. If that is the case, you need to run some bracing from the frame out to support the outer bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post

Launch?

I just got nervous. Are you going to drag race it with slicks? If so, I would not slot the brackets.

If you're talking launch ... like autocross & brake stop events ... on TW 200 radials ... slots will work if the material is quality & thick enough. For mild steel, I like to see these be .250" thick & 3/4" of material on "pull side" if the slot is 3" or less. If you use either HR50 Steel (like we do in our kits) or 4130 chromoly, the bracket can be 3/16" thick & be good.

First, thank you for your advice. The sheer number of great contributors on this site have opened me up to many paths of self learning and curiosity the past several years and had helped me develop my car into something truly amazing to drive. Okay, enough fanboi stuff, lol

So, no not drag launch, I should have said street launch on two 200 tires. I haven't been interested in pure drag racing since I found this site and had my first conversation with Sc&c.

I will check the material of the brackets, and stay within your recommendations. My welder/fabricator already furrowed his brows over not having any support to the frame, so he will be adding in a back support. As a side note, I was unaware that you sell these brackets Ron, I would have bought them from you but didn't see them on your site. I do most of my shopping on the interwebs while at work(I know, bad employee).

If I could ask a follow up question, is there a metric I should be looking for when looking at slot length? Such as 1 inch of body roll gives me 5 degrees of axle rotation (made up numbers). So for my wheel width /lca length I would need adjustment slots 1 inch ...3 inch total? I plan on taking the car to Gingerbrook raceway as well as autocross.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech442 View Post
      First, thank you for your advice. The sheer number of great contributors on this site have opened me up to many paths of self learning and curiosity the past several years and had helped me develop my car into something truly amazing to drive. Okay, enough fanboi stuff, lol

So, no not drag launch, I should have said street launch on two 200 tires. I haven't been interested in pure drag racing since I found this site and had my first conversation with Sc&c.

I will check the material of the brackets, and stay within your recommendations. My welder/fabricator already furrowed his brows over not having any support to the frame, so he will be adding in a back support. As a side note, I was unaware that you sell these brackets Ron, I would have bought them from you but didn't see them on your site. I do most of my shopping on the interwebs while at work(I know, bad employee).

If I could ask a follow up question, is there a metric I should be looking for when looking at slot length? Such as 1 inch of body roll gives me 5 degrees of axle rotation (made up numbers). So for my wheel width /lca length I would need adjustment slots 1 inch ...3 inch total? I plan on taking the car to Gingerbrook raceway as well as autocross.
      The concern with slot length is ... the longer you make the slot, the weaker the bracket is. So I limit our slots to 3". Only as a rule of thumb, 1" of body roll is about 1°. Ideally, you'd place your mounts where the lower link is level to the ground when it is in the center of the slot. That way you had equal range to go up or down with the front rod end.
      * Up increases positive rear steer / Turns better on tight corners but doesn't have as much rear grip
      * Down increase counter rear steer / Doesn't turn as well on tight corners but has more rear grip

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com