Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Press in studs?

Press in studs?

I had some Arp 1/2" studs pressed into my rear axles and front hubs, and almost all have a small space between them, just about where i can almost slide a razor blade behind them. i tried to re-tighten all of them and they seem to be bottomed out where they cant go any further? is this an issue? will they seat when i start to drive the truck and re-torque the wheels? the truck is not running or driving yet so this is not urgent, id just like to figure it out.

Thank you.

Country Flag: United States
      Hmm...were the holes resized for the proper .005"-.008" interference fit? You definitely want the heads seated firmly against the inboard face of the hub and/or axle flange, otherwise they can and will loosen during use, and a loose stud is often a broken stud in short order. If you paid someone to press them in, I would be talking to them first since that's not right IMO.
      It's what I does.

Knock one out and check the hole for a chamfer to match the radius on the underside of the head. If the holes were re-drilled adding the chamfer may have to be done to get the bolt to seat correctly.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
      Knock one out and check the hole for a chamfer to match the radius on the underside of the head. If the holes were re-drilled adding the chamfer may have to be done to get the bolt to seat correctly.
      Mark
      This was my first thought too

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      This was my first thought too
      Mine too...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

i ended up going over the rear studs with tons of washers and anti seize and a 1/2" impact. they are all seated well now from what i can see, just took some time. the fronts i am going to go over again with the hydraulic press. thanks guys!!

After you first drive the car, recheck the torque. You should do that a couple times a day for several days just to be on the safe side. If you autocross, you should do it after every run for a few events.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

I had that problem with moroso studs and aftermarket axles. I had to take it down to a machine shop and have them pressed in.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com