Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1968 Barracuda - fitted with Mercedes 750hp Twin Turbo V12 + Drivetrain/Suspension

Hi
      New here and going to share the build. The car owner is my good friend and a life long car guy, Mike Hoover - Hoover Mercedes in Parker, Colorado. He grew up drag racing with his Dad, old school car guys, and has 20yrs or more in a a top Mercedes Tech. He was part of the High Altitude Development Team for the new SLR.

I am David Gossett - Ariston Speed Shop - Colorado Springs, C0....... a Hot Rod Fabricator who has been doing everything from Customs to European Restorations. I will do all the fabrication, body/paint, most of the interior, and who know what else.

The car is a 1968 Barracuda. The motor is going to be a Mercedes Twin Turbo V12. 750-800hp depending on the final tune, we'll see. The transmission and drivetrain will be all Mercedes. 6spd auto I think?? I am going to fit the front and rear suspension sub frames onto the Cuda, which bot will have huge disc brakes, ABS, Traction Control, and Ride Control. All the components will absolutely handle the HP.

After being around the Mercedes, and Mike working and playing with them, I have developed a new found respect for the brand. The motors can, and do kick out some serious reliable power. Smooth as a sewing machine too.

The first order of business is to blast the body to bare metal, fix anything, then start beefing the old unibody up to handle the HP and new suspension. I will try to keep the thread updated and current as I can.

Let the fun begin !!!!!!

Name:  20170422_144240.jpg
Views: 2068
Size:  171.9 KB

Name:  20170426_163423.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  166.7 KB

I'll be watching this one closely! Very cool!

I used to play with Jag V-12s. Still nothing quite like the sound of 12 cylinders at high revs.

You going with the M275 AMG or the regular M275?

It's a little weird to see someone mixing Mercedes and Mopar, but man that thing will be mean when it's done. Plus it's nice to see something different, especially from someone who knows what they're doing. Good luck on the build and I will definitely be watching this one.

Mike is going for the AMG V12 which is 6 liters, and a 285 series motor. The transmission is a 5sp auto.

Got the Barracuda installed on the rotisserie today. It is going in to the media blaster on Wednesday. Tim at American Stripping in Colorado Springs will be doing the blasting.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Love the "oddball" builds, carry on sir.

Perfect combination since Mercedes did own Chrysler for a bit! Should be a fun car.

Very cool! look foward to your updates!
      Pat

Got the Barracuda back from the sandblaster. Clean and ready to start working on

Started working on the new sub-frame connectors and torque boxes. We got these from US Car Tool. The fit and quality was nice. The first picture is some home made connectors that worked ok, but not up to my standards. Took a bit of cutting and grinding to remove them.

Before I start on cutting up the front and rear of the car to fit in the Mercedes suspension, I need to stiffen and brace the center of the car. I am not sure if I am going to install the roll cage first or wait til I have suspension work done. More concerned about attachment of the cage in the rear section. Would like to tie that into points close to where suspension is mounted for rigidity. Basically I am not sure yet how much of the existing floor will remain, moved, or new.

Have plenty to do in the meantime with rust repair.
      Last edited by aristonspeedshop; 06-03-2017 at 06:47 AM. Reason: forgot important info

Yes US Car Tool makes nice torque boxes and frame connectors. Great rust free car to start with!
      Good luck with the build!
      Pat

Country Flag: Canada
      How did I miss this off the wall build... they were in bed together so I guess they go together lol. Watching this
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Wow! Color me interested, and subscribed!

Tuned in to follow the build..
      RobS
      71 Demon, 6.1hemi, paddled 4l65e, AlterK, Tri4,

Those original subframe connectors are some real Red Green pieces. the new ones look pretty slick.
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

QUOTE=aristonspeedshop;1228631]Mike is going for the AMG V12 which is 6 liters, and a 285 series motor. The transmission is a 5sp auto.[/QUOTE]

I thought the 285 was 5.5 litre for Maybach?

I am just going by what Mike Hoover-Hoover Mercedes told me on the motor, .....anyway Wikipedia does say a 275 AMG 6.0L is more likely the case.

Been doing a little rust repair, nothing very exciting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com