Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Best replacement door latch assembly???

I have a 71 Camaro and the door latch assemblies are worn out so I ordered a replacement pair from OER and they are JUNK. Does anyone have any experience with other brands? Anyone have any OE assemblies in good condition for sale? Thanks

It looks like you didn't get much feedback on this question of door latches. I'm currently going through the same thing where I decided to replace my OE latches due to internal wear and I don't know what to buy. I'm thinking of replacing the springs and continuing to use them if I can't get some positive feedback on whether they make any good ones. I have read about a lot of junk from both Goodmark and OER. Did you make a decision?? Thanks

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Ate you talking about the opening handle or the latch? Could using something like a Bear Claw from the Hot Rod guys work? Or even a latch ans striker bolt from a modern (newer) car?

http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Bear-...r-Claw-Latches
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Quote Originally Posted by cwmusser View Post
      It looks like you didn't get much feedback on this question of door latches. I'm currently going through the same thing where I decided to replace my OE latches due to internal wear and I don't know what to buy. I'm thinking of replacing the springs and continuing to use them if I can't get some positive feedback on whether they make any good ones. I have read about a lot of junk from both Goodmark and OER. Did you make a decision?? Thanks
      I haven't found any solutions yet. For now I'm using my stock latches, I blasted them and then greased them up real good. They work ok but the plastic latch guide is worn and doesn't "grab" the striker like I want.

I ended up buying OER latches through Summit (they were the only ones listed as GM recognized replacement). They made a big difference in how tight my doors shut on my new stainless strikers. Well worth the small investment.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com