Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need help picking steering wheel diameter

Factory wheel is 16".

The replacement is not going to be 16".

This is going in my 69 Impala. I just upgrade to a quick ratio (power) steering box. Looking for some input from others who have down sized their steering wheels. The most common option I'm seeing is 13.5"?

Country Flag: Canada
      I think most of the actual performance cars on here use about a 15".

I have a Sparco R 345 350mm which is around that 13.5-14in. Thats the smallest i would go personally also depends on the look your after.

With a big car like that i would go with the 15in GM comfort grip wheel that came in the 69 camaro and 70 chevelles.

Country Flag: New Zealand
      I removed a 13.5" diameter wheel from my '57 Poncho because it didn't feel right in such a large car, and it looked awful. I replaces it with a repro. 15" '57 Chevy wheel, and it feels just right when driving.
      cheers Russell

My 1957 Pontiac Star Chief powered by a 5.3 LS with a 4L60E transmission, on 18" US Mags Big Slots.

I like the 13" wheel.. I still have the 13/16 ratio box and it makes the over all steering ratio faster, my el Camino feels like a go cart with it.. I never use anything bigger than 13" again..

I have a Lee 14:1 box on the way.. I'm hoping the overall ratio will be nice on the street.. I did have a Lee 12:1 with a 15" wheel on my last car and the steering was sensitive but the car was rear steer so who knows..

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiStarChief View Post
      I removed a 13.5" diameter wheel from my '57 Poncho because it didn't feel right in such a large car, and it looked awful. I replaces it with a repro. 15" '57 Chevy wheel, and it feels just right when driving.
      Cool car. I have only seen one of the Pontiac versions in person.

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Cool car. I have only seen one of the Pontiac versions in person.
      Thanks for the compliment. There's only a couple of them in New Zealand, which is the reason I purchased it, as you are not parked up with dozens at a show like I was with my '56 Bel Air.
      cheers Russell

My 1957 Pontiac Star Chief powered by a 5.3 LS with a 4L60E transmission, on 18" US Mags Big Slots.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com