Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      ^^^ did you swap your original tank out? Is it in the same location?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      ^^^ did you swap your original tank out? Is it in the same location?
      The original tank has been gone for 3 years.
      I had a tank custom built to fit up near the firewall to move the weight back and to add more capacity.

Wow! What did you do with the old bracket???
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
      The tank I originally had is modified on the bottom and too small (only 2 gallons). The tank that Bryan had Steffs make is going to be the easiest solution but I would change the way he did the breather, I would have three -12 fittings added to the side, run one to a breather can and run the other two to each valve cover.
      Interesting that you point out the breather setup... I've been debating whether I want or need to add a catch can to my system to alleviate any potential crankcase pressure. I really don't think that I do, as I expect the Dailey pump should pull any pressure out and pass it out of the breather (I see puffs of smoke out of it from time to time, so I know something is coming out).

Tim, do you have any thoughts on whether a catch can is needed on our setups, since ours are similar? Yours can pull way more vacuum than mine can, but I would think mine would evacuate any pressure that might build up in side the engine... Agreed?
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Quote Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
      Tim,

Is that hose on the bottom your supply point? If so, do you have an internal tube that goes to the bottom to pickup oil from the very bottom of the tank with suction?
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Wow! What did you do with the old bracket???
      I have it around somewhere, but I have no idea where that is. You cannot fit a tank with enough capacity where I had my old tank, I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
      Tim,

Is that hose on the bottom your supply point? If so, do you have an internal tube that goes to the bottom to pickup oil from the very bottom of the tank with suction?
      Yes and yes.
      On the 3 stage you have, we usually run a -12 from one valve cover to the breather can and a -4 or -6 from the other valve cover to the oil tank just to circulate the air to keep moisture from collecting in the covers and the top of the tank.

^^ I bought the Peterson LS7 tank. I'll have to get creative when I have more time to wait for a custom tank. . My car is also not in the same league so probably not too critical for me right now. I sure would like to buy your bracket or atleast some measurements. Are your old tank mounting clamps for sale?

Rob
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

^^ I bought the Peterson LS7 tank. I'll have to get creative when I have more time to wait for a custom tank. . My car is also not in the same league so probably not too critical for me right now. I sure would like to buy your bracket or atleast some measurements. Are your old tank mounting clamps for sale?

Rob
      I have no idea where that stuff is, I have floor to ceiling pallet racking filled with boxes of parts...it's somewhere in that stuff. I don't have the spare time to go digging through all of that stuff to look for it.
      That Peterson tank is too small, you better stay off the road courses with that tank, you'll suck it dry after a few laps. You're going to have to notch the bottom of that tank if you put it where I had my old one.

Listen to Tim, he knows what he is talking about. I run a 3 gallon Peterson tank in the trunk because there is simply no room under the hood to place a stock tank with wide tires and everything else....also improved weight distribution but that place,net has its own issues. Dry sumps are awesome but can cause more problems if not properly sized and plumbed.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Keith Corrigan
      1968 Camaro "Velocity"

Drive em hard, enjoy them forever!!

The alternative was the wet sump conversion. That has a much smaller capacity...does the LS7 pump just that much more powerful then the LS3? I'm confused how I can run a LS1 with a 4 quart pan and be fine but the LS7 with 8 quarts but be in trouble?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Just like everything else, there is no right answer for _every_ situation.

I have a customer with the Peterson LS7 tank mounted where the battery was on a 1st gen. This will be his 5th season on the car with a Mast 416 and a ARE pan. It hasn't blowed up or run out of oil but he doesn't run at big dog tracks like VIR or Daytona either. He doesn't see the situation where the car is holding 1.2g lateral for 4 or 5 seconds at 6500 rpm or more. In his case, 8 qts of oil is more than enough. Tim has proven that it doesn't work for him.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com