Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Brake Bleeding

Country Flag: United States

Brake Bleeding

I am in the process of bleading the brakes on my 69 Camaro and I can not get the pedal to feel like I expect it to. The brake system consist of a DSE brake booster with a Baer Remaster, Baer track 4 up front and Baer SS4 in the rear. I ran all new lines with Goodridge AN fittings, I have bleed the brakes to the point that I am no longer getting bubbles from each caliper but my pedal still travels about 3 to 4 inches before I get any kind of resistance and it still feels a little soft. Do I need to continue to bleed the brakes until I get the pedal feel I want or could I have another issue. I also did not bench bleed the master cylinder, should I take everything loose and bench bleed it and start all over again. I really appreciate any help, this is starting to test my patiences since I can not figure out what else to do.

You need to bleed the MC..whether it be on the car or on the bench. Are we to assume there are zero leaks?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Yes zero leaks, I will bleed the MC this evening and see if that helps me. Thanks.

For the record I did not bench bleed my Remaster. I do however always initiate a full bleed with a Mightyvac and I think that make a big difference. Once I have good flow to all 4 wheels, I start over with a conventional pedal pump bleed and done. Never a single issue on any type of system and always a great pedal. If you bench bleed and have still have a soft pedal, drive the car for a bit then re-bleed to see if any air vibrated loose.

Did you check the clearance between the booster pushrod and master cylinder?

Did you use DSEs brackets and do you have the pushrod in the proper hole on the pedal?

What bore size master cylinder did you use?

I have never bench bled a master cylinder, at least 100 of them. It is important to bleed the circuit that is closest to the pedal first. If the front brakes are hooked to the rear port on the master, bleed the front brakes first.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Sorry it took so long to reply, I have been out of town with work and just back to working on the car. With the help of Dan Holohan I found a problem in the brake booster and we have fixed it and it is working great now. I have not got to check in on the road but going up and down my driveway it is working perfectly. Donny, on of the issues was the pushrod was in the wrong hole on the pedal, changed it and it helped tremendously. Thanks for all of the help.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com