Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Fresh T56 Build - Stuck in Neutral

I posted this on another forum, but I'm hoping someone here will have a trick up theor sleeve.

This is my first T56 build. Everything seemed to go fine with no issues (well, until now). I replaced all the blockers, bearings, shift fork pads, keys, and springs in my T56. I set the end play and preload. Now that everything is together, the trans seems to be stuck in neutral. Input and output spin freely, but I can't shift it into any gear.

Any my ideas on what the issue is? I would just pull it back apart and see what's going on, but I had the journal for 5/6 fixed, and now I can't pull the gear off!

Country Flag: United States
      Can't move the stick, or it's not engaging anything?

I can move the selector side to side (rotate the shifter rail) but can't move it forward or backward.

Quote Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
      I can move the selector side to side (rotate the shifter rail) but can't move it forward or backward.
      It sounds like you may have one or both of the guide pins out of the rail slots. In the pics you will see the shift rail part where the guide pin rides. If the pin is in front or behind the groove it will act like it is stuck in neutral since you will not be able to slide the rail front to back. It can happen easily if you're not careful on reassembly. The case photo shows the 2 locations where the guide pins install. You can try and remove them and re-install to see if that helps, but it may be necessary to take the trans back apart to get them to line up properly. I would try the one on the passenger side of the case first as that is usually the one that can get out of track easier.

Name:  guide pin-2 (1).jpg
Views: 370
Size:  226.7 KBName:  guide pin-3.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  165.2 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Awesome!!! Thanks for taking the time to post that! I'm planning to pull the mid plate (hopefully tonight) and take a look. That'll be the first thing I'll check.

Are there any good photos of how the interlock should be aligned during reassembly (edit: Let me clarify that a bit. The photos above explain how the interlock should be situated in relation to the guide pins. Now I'm wondering about how the interlocks on the 1 through 4 rail and the interlocks on the 5, 6, and R rail should be aligned)? If I screwed anything up, I think that's probably where the problem is.

It's tough to see anything of use in these two pictures, but thought I'd post them just in case. Can anyone see any issues with the shift selector? This is looking into the transmission with the mid plate removed.

Name:  ShiftSelector (1).jpg
Views: 351
Size:  106.6 KB
      Name:  ShiftSelector.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  79.0 KB

I don't have any other photos at the moment, but looking at your last pictures I don't see anything jumping out as being incorrect. It's really tough to say what the problem could be since your guide pins are installed correctly.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

And I believe we found the problem. In attempt to keep parts in order, I left the roll-pin in the offset lever..... then I forgot about it. When I put everything back together, I dutifully put in a new roll pin. The extra roll pin wouldn't let the detent ball compress. So it was stuck in one position. Glad I figured it out before I went to the trouble of pressing 5/6 off the shaft. Now I just have to get everything back together with the mainshaft in the case.

Name:  TwoRollPins.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  249.8 KB

Let us know if this fixed your problem..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Will do. I had just about everything out of the trans with the exception of the main shaft when I found the roll pin. So now I'm struggling to get everything back together with the mainshaft in the case. I think I'm close. It took a while to countershaft and both shift rails in with the selector oriented correctly. i need to pick up some loftier and some gasket maker, and then I'll be ready to finish putting it together.

That extra roll pin was definitely the problem! I finally managed to get everything back together last night, and she shifts through all the gears. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com