Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Rob Kibbe of the Muscle Car Place Podcast had a series on sponsorship. Contact him for some more great info.

I'm going to put a twist on this sponsorship discussion. I have just recently started to consider looking for sponsorship not for Dust Off but rather for my pickup. Stay with me for a minute while I explain. I work on the road course on-track recovery and cleanup crew at Dominion Raceway in Thornburg, VA. This crew basically consists of myself and the facilities manager and we are responsible for clearing dead cars and all debris from the racing surface as quickly as possible. Because this facility is new we don't have a lot of rolling equipment available to use. As a result, we use a combination of track owned and privately owned vehicles. The facilities manager drives the official track pickup while I use my personal pickup and between the two of us we do all flat tows and track cleanups. We can also jump into the track wrecker or rollback as needed. During a recent conversation it was pointed out to me that my truck is, in effect, a blank mobile billboard moving all around the raceway property during every road course event and, in the process, is being seen by literally thousands of competitors and spectators. All of our on-track vehicles, my truck included, are equipped with a full complement of emergency safety warning lights for maximum visibility. My thought is to use magnetic signage so they can be removed when not on the raceway property. I get paid to work the road course but my goal is to be able to sell advertising for a modest fee to offset my diesel and maintenance costs.

So now I'm starting to research companies both local and national who might have an interest in having their company logos displayed on my rather unique rolling billboard during all future DR road course events. Dominion Raceway in Thornburg, VA hosts a full schedule of road course events running from March to November. Event organizers include NASA, TrackDaze, INEX , SCCA, PCA, Ferrari, Bertil Roos and recently we hosted a stop on Brock Yates One Lap of America.

Does this sound like a viable plan? I would love to hear any thoughts, comments or suggestions.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Steve, I don't see why it wouldn't. There is a box truck running around here with a led sign on the back sides, advertising. Don't know what he charges though.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Funny you mention the advertising box truck Carl, because I have seen billboard trucks in Las Vegas and the image of them driving down the strip contributed at some level to this idea. I guess the next step is to come up with a proper sponsorship proposal letter.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I'm going to put a twist on this sponsorship discussion. I have just recently started to consider looking for sponsorship not for Dust Off but rather for my pickup. Stay with me for a minute while I explain. I work on the road course on-track recovery and cleanup crew at Dominion Raceway in Thornburg, VA. This crew basically consists of myself and the facilities manager and we are responsible for clearing dead cars and all debris from the racing surface as quickly as possible. Because this facility is new we don't have a lot of rolling equipment available to use. As a result, we use a combination of track owned and privately owned vehicles. The facilities manager drives the official track pickup while I use my personal pickup and between the two of us we do all flat tows and track cleanups. We can also jump into the track wrecker or rollback as needed. During a recent conversation it was pointed out to me that my truck is, in effect, a blank mobile billboard moving all around the raceway property during every road course event and, in the process, is being seen by literally thousands of competitors and spectators. All of our on-track vehicles, my truck included, are equipped with a full complement of emergency safety warning lights for maximum visibility. My thought is to use magnetic signage so they can be removed when not on the raceway property. I get paid to work the road course but my goal is to be able to sell advertising for a modest fee to offset my diesel and maintenance costs.

So now I'm starting to research companies both local and national who might have an interest in having their company logos displayed on my rather unique rolling billboard during all future DR road course events. Dominion Raceway in Thornburg, VA hosts a full schedule of road course events running from March to November. Event organizers include NASA, TrackDaze, INEX , SCCA, PCA, Ferrari, Bertil Roos and recently we hosted a stop on Brock Yates One Lap of America.

Does this sound like a viable plan? I would love to hear any thoughts, comments or suggestions.
      Sounds like a Viable Plan to me.

The Obvious Candidates are Local Car Dealerships ( say Porsche for the PCA Weekends), Tire Rack, etc

Great insight, I've even gained some knowledge about this topic!!

Sponsorship is more than just give me money/parts and I'll wheel your logo around in front of people on nearby tracks. You have to approach it with a marketing plan that meshes with the company's marketing plan to reach their targeted markets and provide a return on their investment. That means sponsorship proposals need to be SMART; specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time bound.

This could include appearances outside of actual track time at sponsor open houses, participation in live events-again outside of track time, setting up radio or tv coverage for yourself, team, or the company, maintaining a vehicle appearance (and drivers and crew) worthy of the companies chosen image, creating a means of measuring the people you reach or at least those that follow up with your sponsor after your contact with them.

Anything other than this is simply sugar daddy territory. Even winning, while a great part of the promotion of it all, is not a requirement if you can do the other things.
      TonyC@HP2

It seems to me you're better off buying your own parts and having fun with your car. Once you start looking for sponsors youre now a dedicated professional doing this for a living and it's not a source of income. From what I have seen none of these events even pay you when you win, so all the cost is right out of your pocket with little to no gain...all for some free parts?? The cars are not even regulated so the vehicle choice is critical. There's disadvantages racing a 68 camaro rather then a 2006 GTR or Z06. Going to 4-6 events a years takes time and will cost you a considerable amount of money. The sponsors are the ones making it out ahead. They don't have to buy a car, maintain it, or spend money going to events. They give you a few hundred $$ in parts and you spend thousands advertising/R&D for them.

My opinion would be build a car, go to events and have fun. If you're good and someone says "hey would you...." you're racing anyways so why not.

From what I can tell 99% of all the "sponsors" are actually friends working with friends. Getting connections with folks will get you atleast in the right direction.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      My opinion would be build a car, go to events and have fun. If you're good and someone says "hey would you...." you're racing anyways so why not.

From what I can tell 99% of all the "sponsors" are actually friends working with friends. Getting connections with folks will get you atleast in the right direction.
      This is probably the best way to do it. If you are out there enough, having fun, and drive something people want to talk to you about then eventually someone will ask you to run their stuff. By then, you've likely met the "sponsor" at multiple events across multiple years and have already become friends.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

I know this is a old thread but I thought I'd give my 2 cents since I'm relatively new into all this and maybe someone will search "sponsorship" and see this.
      Sponsorships seem awesome but in reality it cost YOU more money! Atleast that's been my experience.
      Ok Franklin, I'm sending you a bigger supercharger but you have to build a motor that will support it.
      That just cost me a few thousand dollars out of my pocket.
      That's been the case for everything so far not to mention worrying if your doing enough for the sponsoring company.
      Its alot of work, almost like another job.
      Then you have friends that don't understand it all and think differently of you.
      Don't get me wrong, I love this sport but forget Dave Ramsey's advise about saving money. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frank ZX View Post
      I know this is a old thread but I thought I'd give my 2 cents since I'm relatively new into all this and maybe someone will search "sponsorship" and see this.
      Sponsorships seem awesome but in reality it cost YOU more money! Atleast that's been my experience.
      Ok Franklin, I'm sending you a bigger supercharger but you have to build a motor that will support it.
      That just cost me a few thousand dollars out of my pocket.
      That's been the case for everything so far not to mention worrying if your doing enough for the sponsoring company.
      Its alot of work, almost like another job.
      Then you have friends that don't understand it all and think differently of you.
      Don't get me wrong, I love this sport but forget Dave Ramsey's advise about saving money. Lol

Most of these big names have their own car anyways...I would think the actual sponsorship would go down. People like Hotchkis, Texas Speed, Detroit Speed, Speed Tech, Ride Tech etc...They all have their own cars. They are usually the brands with large expensive suspension and engine components. No way would I spend thousands of dollars to race my car for some free spark plugs lol.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com