Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

To POR15 or to not POR15. That 'tis the question.

Car: 1976 T/A factory 400/4-Speed

What started off as a simple "would-be" floorpan massage and POR15 job has turned in to a complete interior tear down. I'm also in the process of replacing my entire front sub-frame with a powder-coated unit from Detroit Speed. I'm also cutting a new tunnel for a strengthen T56 matted to a supercharged Mast LS7. I'm also installing a new brake and clutch assembly from Wilwood, having the firewall around that assembly strengthened and having weld in sub frame connectors installed from D.S.E..

I have a build thread going on about this in the "Project Updates" sub forum/section but I have a simple question.

My question is if I should use POR15 or bed liner on the INSIDE of my floor pans. I will be scrapping away the failing/loose/bad sections of factory seam seal but I don't plan of replacing all of the factory seam seal because 70% or so of it is still fine/holding up very well.

The reason I have this question is because POR15 likes bonding to rust (not loose rust), but sanded smooth, cleaned and well prepped rusty surfaces. My problem is that not only do I have great sections of factory seam seal that's in great shape, but most of my floor pans are ALSO in great shape with factory overspray, primer and some paint from my ladder bar rear floor pans. There are only a few areas that have surface rust on them at all. There are NO HOLES. There is not a single area that truly concerns me but since I'm getting the trans. tunnel cut, and since I'm down there with everything ripped out I figure why not just do this?!

The entire interior is ripped out. Dashboard, headliner everything. The doors are off the car and the entire front clip (hood, fenders, fender walls, heater core, brake booster, wiper motor.

Based on everything I've been told and read...I'm thinking the right thing to do would be to:

1) Hand sand/wire brush and vacuum the entire pan
      2) Apply the seam seal everywhere that needs to be replaced
      3) And apply...I can't believe I'm saying this because it sounds so horrible...to apply BED LINER on the pans?!!!?

Am I wrong? Should I apply the POR15 pan repair kit and THEN bed liner?

LINK TO BUILD THREAD:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Touring-Build

Country Flag: United States
      Neither. Use a quality epoxy primer.

An interesting discussion about POR-15:

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...e-3#post-54224

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Neither. Use a quality epoxy primer.

An interesting discussion about POR-15:

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...e-3#post-54224

Don
      Thank you so much for that link. I cannot thank you enough for that source. Getting a straight answer is never easy. Much appreciated.

Andrew

Country Flag: United States
      Given the time and choice, I'll prep and spray with epoxy. IMO it just looks better.

That being said, POR-15 correctly applied, does what it advertises. I have a bare metal sculpture coated with clear that has been sitting outside for years without corrosion.

"Tis" is a contraction for "that is" BTW.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com