Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Modern Steering wheel's in classics

Has anybody put a modern steering column in to an old vehicle and managed to get the steering wheel controls to work with a head unit? Say for example using a Pontiac G8 Or Chevy Camaro column and wheel. I've seen people do the column swaps, but I'd like to see any examples of someone whos got the controls to work as well.
      I am toying with the idea, my thoughts are it wouldn't be overly difficult in terms of electrical if you can find a diagram, but I could be wrong!

Country Flag: United States
      this may or may not help, but are you hoping for these functions? or do you have a modern steering column and trying to figure out if it is at all possible to get them to work?
      So I have a 2012 camaro column and wheel, but I don't want the buttons to work, and I found out that most chevys around that year used a very similar wheel and chevy cruz in particular don't always have steering controls at all and I can(well I'm trying to) source small plastic pieces to entirely blank these controls from the wheel. This is mostly because I don't plan to use the 2012 camaro wiring loom.

Country Flag: Canada
      I wonder about the size of wires, new vehicles have some pretty small wire gauges so that may be a concern.

Don't think the juice is worth the squeeze, just to have buttons , when the stereo is what 18" away
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

That isn't really what he was asking. But that aside if you know what stereo and steering wheel you are using you might be able to use one of factory-fit type adapters like you get from Crutchfield and etc. If they connect directly between the wheel and the head unit I'd think the problem would largely be solved, but offhand I don't know what the pigtails in the column look like.
      Something like this perhaps. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADS...r.html?tp=3405
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Yes sorry ...wasnt reading it clearly.. My mistake
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I thought the steering wheel buttons were all tied through the clock spring wiring. I would think trying to graft the steering in an old car would be much tougher then the wiring.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      I think integrating the control would be the tough part. Most switches send a signal to a body control module. For the switch to work as designed, you will need to emulate the function of the BCM. Way too much electronics for me.
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Here's another source for steering wheel control (SWC) modules. http://www.pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=29

You'll want to pick a radio that supports SWC and see what type of module the manufacturer recommends for your vehicle, or in this case for the type of steering wheel you plan on using.

It's for a valiant, and I've seen this column been mounted to this model with little modification. So the clock spring, turn signals, wiper stalk are all there. Generally you just see a non control wheel put on though. I figure (depending on how hard it is) It would be nice to try get this to work. My concern is that it isn't as straight forward as wiring and that control modules or CAN bus systems are used now and it's not a simple procedure. But if you don't ask, you don't know.